Learning to factor the score in calling w/ less than attractive hands

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

Learning to factor the score in calling w/ less than attractive hands

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:01 pm

There are times you will be calling with less than attractive hands at various score and times in Euchre.
Today I'm going to talk about some situations where score does matter when calling with these types of hands.

Close out scores. Are scores at which your team has 8 or 9 points and generally the opponents are typically 4 points or more below your score I: 8-2 9-5 ect... Now at these scores we will look from a Seat 2 perspective.

Let's say your in Seat 2, it's your teams deal. You have :

(Card_A-C) (Card_10-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_K-S) (Card_10-D)

with say a (Card_A-H) upcard.

You can order this up at your 9-<5 or 8-<5 scores. Or even at 9-9 score which is actually a must. DO NOT order this up at 8-8 or 9-8 especially.

Seat 1 Ordering:

Let's say the score is 4-9 them. The dealer just turned down the (Card_K-D) and you have..............

(Card_10-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_A-D) (Card_9-D) (Card_A-S)

You need to call something here and just can't pass. At different scores you can pass with this hand. This is a weaker hand that you can call either up at close out scores like above or down like in this scenario. Generally at close scores Ie: 6-6 5-3, 8-7, 4-3 you don't want to be calling this type of hand because it get's euchred enough in the long run where you unnecessarily give up points. There will be people who argue against this. I'm not saying you can't call this hand normally. Just make sure you doing it in advantageous situations or in situations like in this example where you need points or its Game over.

So you call clubs here and you lead your 9 of clubs.

Generally in seat 3 you don't ever want to be calling light what so ever, unless its at 9-9 then you can call lighter than normal but make sure its a hand you can reasonably get a point. There is an exception and let's go into that right now.

You are in seat 3. It's 9-6 your team's favor. It passes around to you and you are in Seat 3 with say:

(Card_A-C) (Card_J-D) (Card_Q-H) (Card_K-S) (Card_Q-S) with (Card_K-H) as the upcard.

Generally you don't want to order here but if you have a partner that donates at these scores and they do not donate. I think it's reasonable to think they either have the right bauer or at bare minimum two side Aces. So you hope for some help from your partner and close out the game. However if you do get Euchred guess what? Its 9-8 your team and your deal. Not a bad prospect.

Picking up as Dealer:

there will be many times you'd be picking up light at various scores. Especially when picking up the Right bauer. Many times you'll just have Right-X, no off aces. Or perhaps just one Off ace. These are hands you should be picking up anyways, but a lot of people pass these hands because they think it is too light. The type of hand I will show below have been discussed with at length with-in Ohioeuchre.

Upcard (Card_10-C)

You have (Card_A-D) (Card_A-S) (Card_Q-C) (Card_10-H) (Card_9-H)

With this hand as dealer. You want to be calling these at favorable scores. This is my opinion, not the over all opinion that has been stated here with in Ohioeuchre. This type of hand with two trump x-x trump(mind you with out the bauers) and two side aces. Get's euchred too much and you want to cut down on bleeding points. Especially in tough games where unnecessary euchre's cost you. How ever at scores like 9-<5, 8-<5 or 7-2, 6-1, 5-2, 4-1 scores like these is when you can call up these type hands and especially and most importantly call this up at 9-9 and 8-9.

I'm just giving a visual to what I've previously stated above.

Upcard: (Card_J-S)

You have (Card_A-D) (Card_10-S) (Card_10-H) (Card_J-H) (Card_Q-H)

Pick this up at nearly any score.

Up card (Card_J-C)

You have (Card_9-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_Q-S) (Card_9-H) (Card_K-H)

Once again pick this hand up at nearly any score.

I hope this help some people and give some ideas at various scores, situations and scenario's when to order lighter than normal. I just gave a brief overview of a few situations. The rest can be extrapolated from experience and the situations and scores I gave up above. Hope this helps.

Tbolt65

Edward