I call next. What should I lead now?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
CWVegas

I call next. What should I lead now?

Unread post by CWVegas » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:03 am

I have (Card_J-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_A-H) (Card_K-D) (Card_9-D) and call next in clubs when the King of spades is turned down. Since I have the Right am I supposed to lead the 9 of trump as to not pull the Left if my partner only has one trump?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:54 am

Since no one has commented on this, I will:

You stated, " Since I have the Right am I supposed to lead the 9 of trump as to not pull the Left if my partner only has one trump?" Might work sometimes but is there a better way?

Where did you get that idea that you are supposed to lead the 9C?

Your partner certainly has Spades as you have none and the KS was not ordered, leaving AS QS JS 10S 9S unknown. And if your partner only has the JS unguarded it leaves 4 other Clubs AC KC QC 10C UNKNOWN? My point is if he only has JS your most likely screwed to a high degree. So that is simply a statistical matter. 28% S3 has Left (could be a bit higher based on the fact that KS was not ordered by S2/S4.) But even so it will be guarded 2X being unguarded. So your issue is if opponents have 3 clubs or 2 each. A low percentage for either situation. But you have to factor in how opponents and your partner plays as to your lead and the score.

So how I see it is if your partner has the JS its going to be guarded more often than not. Don't try to outthink the cards!

You have two pretty leads here.

A) lead the Right then lead the AH. You will pull 3 other trumps leaving only 2 left by leading the JC. You duck if the AH gets trumped and a spade is led. One opponent would have to have three Clubs to get your 9C. With 5 unknown clubs that chance of an opponent bagging is about 15% (both combined). You will score more Sweeps this way. And the Dealer is really a bad player if he has the JS.
And partner has a good chance to win a Spade lead or your KD dblt to win a trick. And if one of the opponents has three Clubs it be lucky to make a point anyway. But a 15% being euchred is not bad percentage.

B) Your second choice which I think is not a bad lead is the 9D. He just might lead back to your AH then lead the JC followed by KD. If your partner is void in Diamonds (has clubs & spades) he can trump it. Even if Dealer wins and leads back a diamond your partner has end play here. Not a bad choice if the Dealer is bagging on Clubs, I think. S3, your partner still can help if void in Clubs, having the AS or AD as well. Here you are playing for one point only.

The 9C I believe is the worst lead as you may have might have to use the Right to get back in the lead. Ugly situation. You will get some Sweeps but the euchre rate will also be higher. If your partner is void in Clubs your 9C could be won with a low Club. Not good.

However, suppose you did not have the Right (say AC instead), what is best lead. Here I would lead the 9C.

But keep in mind, nothing works 100%.

IRISH
Last edited by irishwolf on Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:05 pm

"When bidding next and you hold Right - x, and an off-suit Ace, leading the small trump first is the best play. Odds are strong that your partner has the other bower. This will give them a chance to make their bower good. Keep in mind that this may be the only trump they have. This will give them the lead and also allow them to play any Aces that they may hold."

This is the advice given here on the site, but I don't think it applies to such a clean hand, you have a lot of breathing room with a singleton green ace, K9 combo, and being void in a green suit. I wouldn't risk leading at all here (with the right) unless you need the points. With a more ugly, 4 suited hand, then I might try leading the low trump on occasion, but just playing a singleton green ace is most likely a safe bet in R2. If I have Right+1 and garbage, then I'm leading low trump every time.

CWVegas

Unread post by CWVegas » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:56 pm

jspectre wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:05 pm
"When bidding next and you hold Right - x, and an off-suit Ace, leading the small trump first is the best play. Odds are strong that your partner has the other bower. This will give them a chance to make their bower good. Keep in mind that this may be the only trump they have. This will give them the lead and also allow them to play any Aces that they may hold."

This is the advice given here on the site, but I don't think it applies to such a clean hand, you have a lot of breathing room with a singleton green ace, K9 combo, and being void in a green suit. I wouldn't risk leading at all here (with the right) unless you need the points. With a more ugly, 4 suited hand, then I might try leading the low trump on occasion, but just playing a singleton green ace is most likely a safe bet in R2. If I have Right+1 and garbage, then I'm leading low trump every time.
Thanks for the response. I appreciate the time you spent sending such a detailed replenish.

CWVegas

Unread post by CWVegas » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:00 pm

jspectre wrote:

Got it…… I understand fully now. Thanks for the advice with R-x and green A as well as single trump lead withe 9 of clubs.

Thanks

CW Vegas

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:06 pm

CWVegas wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:00 pm
jspectre wrote:

Got it…… I understand fully now. Thanks for the advice with R-x and green A as well as single trump lead withe 9 of clubs.

Thanks

CW Vegas

There are time to lead under meaning leading low trump before your right or the Jack of clubs in this case. However with your hand and calling Next There are two better leads here. Leading the Right bauer first and then lead out your Ace. Or you can lead your Ace first then see how things develop with your partner. Leading the 9 of clubs here is a potential play and there will be times you should do this however this isn't one of those times. Also the score kinda helps here to see where you are at that among many other details are also at play here.

Tbolt65
Edward