Is it normal to get set more often than you set the opponent?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
XaviRonaldo

Is it normal to get set more often than you set the opponent?

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:40 am

I play on Euchre 3D single player a lot (I know but I like the interface).

After 271 games on current device I'm winning 62.7% of my games. I realise this isn't a great win percentage against predictable and fairly conservative calling bots. The thing is I recently noticed I'm getting euchred more often than I'm euchreing the opponent. I'm also assuming my trump calls only include mine and not my partner so if I add in the euchs when my partner calls it would be a wide margin.

Is it normal to win 31 of every 50 games played and be euchred so often? Is it I'm being too aggressive or are the opponents too conservative in their trump calls? FWIW I'm winning 82.2% of my trump calls. Again I'm assuming this is just my calls and not including my partner.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:14 am

I don't think that's anything to worry about, even the braindead bots can win when the game ends up coming down to just luck, and remember, one of those braindead bots is on your team, so you're often playing 3v1. You're winning over 80% of your trump calls, which is very solid. You could definitely get that (win) percentage above 65% percent, but I'm not sure that focusing on improving your ability to win with a really bad partner, is going to be all that productive to your gameplay in the long-run.

I played a (bot) game the other day, and my partner, on their deal, called spades in the 2nd round, a red suit had been turned over. The problem with this is they were holding right+1 in clubs and left+1 in spades, and I had two clubs and no spades, but would have had to call green on just K/10, that's what you're dealing with here. I wouldn't use single player for anything other than getting dealt some hands and just seeing how they play out.

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:30 am

jspectre wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:14 am
I don't think that's anything to worry about, even the braindead bots can win when the game ends up coming down to just luck, and remember, one of those braindead bots is on your team, so you're often playing 3v1. You're winning over 80% of your trump calls, which is very solid. You could definitely get that (win) percentage above 65% percent, but I'm not sure that focusing on improving your ability to win with a really bad partner, is going to be all that productive to your gameplay in the long-run.

I played a (bot) game the other day, and my partner, on their deal, called spades in the 2nd round, a red suit had been turned over. The problem with this is they were holding right+1 in clubs and left+1 in spades, and I had two clubs and no spades, but would have had to call green on just K/10, that's what you're dealing with here. I wouldn't use single player for anything other than getting dealt some hands and just seeing how they play out.
Especially on that app. Those bots are ridiculously stupid. They do some extremely boneheaded things that a 10 yo would know not to do. They have no concept of leaving a trick for their partner. They'll often not play boss trump on 4th trick when holding a boss offsuit too. Only time I wouldn't do this is if I'm attempting a euchre and I'm sure the caller has 2 trump left.

My fave pet peeve they do is holding right/ace and they'll often play the right when Trump isn't led on that trick. That is never the right play. I'm convinced the developers of that app have never played a game of euchre in their life.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm

I enjoy karmaneucre.com, even the bots! Using the default settings, I was winning 75 to 80% of the time. I adjusted the "Opponents" to 5 Star. I then experimented with my "partner's" settings (my bot partner). When set to aggressive, it was a dumb-aggressive result. I eventually adjusted to a 45% aggressive setting. I would define it as, dumb but consistent. You do have to play with dumb partners at times. With those settings, I am in a 55 to 59% winning percentage. That is challenging, for bots, imo. The bots even beat me every one in a while, per 100 games.

The live games give you a game incredibly fast! I'm talking less than 30 seconds! You must be prepared to play dumb (even obnoxious) opponents and partners unless you play enough. But, by playing enough you get to better, more qualified players. You are matched with players with an approximately equal number of wins. So if you muster through the dredges, you get to good games. I don't play enough to get there at this point of my life. Wife, business and grands demand a good portion of my time. There are also some quirky rules that are not 100% Hoyle.

You can also use karmaneuchre for private games. I suggest that you give it a try and post your experiences.