Using stats to up your game

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
icanplay

Using stats to up your game

Unread post by icanplay » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:13 pm

Hello,
I have been playing now on a platform where I may have enough games to use the statistical data to help improve my game. For instance:
I have about 600 games played and have called alone 16% of the time. I complete the loner 41% of the time when I call alone. I suspect that I may not call it alone as often as an excellent player would call and go alone. I might imagine that some top players realize that 16% is just not high enough and that statistically speaking, I do not call alone enough, therefore I may not be taking full advantage of this particular opportunity. Does anyone, especially anyone who considers themselves an expert in the game of euchre, have input to this situation?
Through approximately 600 games I have called trump 34% of the time and been set (euchred) 16% of the time when I called trump. While I realize the percent of the time I call trump may rely on factors such as the expertise of the other players, the percentage that I am set (16%) may be an indication that I am not aggressive enough calling trump and that I am not risking a call often enough. I suspect that a 16% set rate may be an indication that I do not call trump aggressively enough. Does anyone, especially anyone who considers themselves an expert in the game of euchre have input to this situation?
Lastly, are there some statistics that I could track that might be very useful in helping me to recognize areas in my game that may need to be addressed. These could include some statistics that I mentioned above, or some that I have failed to mention.
Thanks for any input that may help me to help myself...

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:29 pm

600 games keeping stats is a lot of work and enough to gauge where you are. However, you did not mention your win/loss ratio. The objective is to win so what the bottom success rate. Too difficult to say how good you are as to who you are playing against. But calling 34% when with 4 players the average is 25% says you are aggressive player. And in euchre to win you MUST be aggressive caller but also protect against opponents making loners. 1 in 3 or 4 attempts is what one can expect on successful loners.

The numbers you posted are about right but it's more important on specific situations what you do? Don't get bogged down too deeply in stats as it overlooks what should and should not be done in particular situations, IMO.

There is a lot of really good info if you read some of the analysis on Ohio Euchre. And follow some of the Posts done by Raydog here on specific situations. His Posts on Euchre Quiz analysis.

If you want to improve your game, I have a suggestion and will email you a private message. So check your private message I have sent.

IRISHWOLF

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:43 am

Playing single player on euchre 3D with hard opponents and aggressive partner I call even less often than you and still win 62% of my games. However the bots on that app are very stupid and a little bit conservative. I doubt I would get away with such a high winning percentage against decent players.