Was This The Best Way To Play This Hand?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Was This The Best Way To Play This Hand?

Post by RedDuke » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:50 am

This happened in a game yesterday and was just wondering if I played this right.

I had a very aggressive partner who was calling if he had anything at all. We were actually euchred three times in a row because he was calling on the thinnest of hands.

We were down 7-1 and I was dealer. I was holding this:

(Card_Q-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_K-H) (Card_9-S) (Card_10-D)

Up card was the (Card_10-C) .

I actually turned this down mostly based on my partner. If he had anything at all that would have helped (either black jack or the ace), it's a pretty safe bet that he would have ordered me up and I didn't want to try this if my opponents had all the top trump.

Did I make the right call here or was it worth a shot?

irishwolf

Post by irishwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 am

I would have picked up the 10c, discarded the spade. Down 7 to 1 - YOU CAN'T PASS!

Sure a marginal hand. You need two tricks from your partner as you have 1.5 - 1.75 tricks. You also have to lead trump as quickly as possible.

You have nothing else in your hand no matter who makes trump if you pass. Most players will pass on this hand. You get euchred a bunch too.

irishwolf

Post by irishwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 am

Oh - so what happened after you passed? And what did the other players have in clubs and aces?

RedDuke

Post by RedDuke » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 am

Everybody passed second round. It was stick the dealer, so I chose to try reverse next and picked hearts. My partner had a hand full of kings and queens mostly and looked to be at least three or four suited. First trick, eldest leads the right bower, effectively taking out my partner's only trump (the left) and mine. Things kind of went downhill from there. Basically, from the way it played out, the opponents were going to win this hand no matter what I called (they had between them both black jacks, the ace of clubs, jack of hearts, both red aces)...

Still though, those kinds of hands don't happen very much so I'm just trying to figure out how to improve my strategy for future games.

irishwolf

Post by irishwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 pm

WOW! Shit happens in euchre. So they had all suits covered. You playing against bagger's or at least very conservative. Obvious as you partner got euchred 3X. When that occurs you also have to step back on being aggressive calling. Especially that women players are more conservative in calling - need a fistful to make trump. At 7 to 1 they could afford to sit back and Wait.

Playing STD, if all things equal with my hand and I am the dealer, Next works better. For the reason that both opponents did not want next, and my partner passed and probably has a weak hand in next. My partner should have called opposite but did not, meaning he has little in those two suits.

Still when down by that much, the game is already out of control but you have no choice but call some.

Things kind of went downhill from there. Basically, from the way it played out, the opponents were going to win this hand no matter what I called (they had between them both black jacks, the ace of clubs, jack of hearts, both red aces)...

Catch10110

Post by Catch10110 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:35 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 pm
Especially that women players are more conservative in calling - need a fistful to make trump.
Now THAT is a generalization i wouldn't want to make. :lol:

RedDuke

Post by RedDuke » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm

When that occurs you also have to step back on being aggressive calling. Especially that women players are more conservative in calling - need a fistful to make trump. At 7 to 1 they could afford to sit back and Wait.
Yeah, a lot of times when you're playing online people are hyper-conservative. I've seen people that don't call unless they're holding three trump and a side ace. Makes it harder to try calling next from first seat too if second seat is too timid to call while holding both jacks and a king-queen in a side suit!

irishwolf

Post by irishwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:05 pm

I agree that Next does not work well against conservative players or less experienced players because they are passing on biddable hands.

Makes it harder to try calling next from first seat too if second seat is too timid to call

Wes (aka the legend)

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:35 am

RedDuke wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:50 am
We were down 7-1 and I was dealer. I was holding this:

(Card_Q-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_K-H) (Card_9-S) (Card_10-D)

Up card was the (Card_10-C) .
This is one of those hands where you call more for defensive purposes than offense. You just can't risk handing the ball off to the 1 seat with a 3 trump hand when you have a nearly dead hand if you pass. Look at it this way. Yes you are going to get euchred more than you'd like with this weak holding but given that you have a 4 suited, no ace, nothing hand that blocks nothing if you pass, your first round order will stop a 1 seat loner sweep/2 point call more often than usual. So the theoretical cost of getting euchred on your weak call isn't as bad as it looks.

I know you were making a player-based read adjustment. I get where you're coming from, but passing with this hand is just too risky imo. This dynamic often comes up in euchre. You'll get a good read on someone based on their playing style or a hesitation, and you'll wanna alter your strategy becuz of that but you often can't. You're often handcuffed into a call at least for defensive purposes.

Wes (aka the legend)

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 am

RedDuke wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:07 pm
Yeah, a lot of times when you're playing online people are hyper-conservative. I've seen people that don't call unless they're holding three trump and a side ace. Makes it harder to try calling next from first seat too if second seat is too timid to call while holding both jacks and a king-queen in a side suit!
It is true that your next calls will blow up more often with conservative players, but that doesn't mean you should necessarily make adjustments. Calling next is primarily a defensive strategy. I.E. you call next mostly becuz you don't block reverse next.

E.G. the dealer turns down a (Card_Q-H)

Your team is up 6-2 and you have this hand in the 1 seat:

(Card_J-H) (Card_A-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_10-S) (Card_9-S)

Not calling next in this spot would be a mistake no matter what the game texture.