How Would You Have Played This?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

How Would You Have Played This?

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat May 29, 2021 3:54 am

Would you have done the same thing I did?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:26 am

There is a saying don't send a boy. This is a classic example of such a statement. You always want to force higher trump out to help the rest of your hand or partners hand. playing the queen or king here or even Ace would be better than the 9.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat May 29, 2021 6:21 am

RedDuke wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:54 am
Would you have done the same thing I did?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D
Discard the JH and keep the QD. I know it's extremely marginal but the QD does have a better chance of taking a trick or forcing out trump. You never know, maybe the AdKd is in the kitty. Every little advantage, however miniscule, matters.

As far as the hand. Standard call. Going alone is not an option. With an offsuit King it might be worth a desperation shot in a non-tough game where players don't donate. Anything below an offsuit King is just not worth considering. With an off suit Ace then go alone every time imo except at 8/9 obvoiusly.

On trick 2 there is no reason for you to trump low and expose yourself when you have 3 higher trump. Trump high and then send high and hope both bowers are buried for the 2 pt march.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat May 29, 2021 9:43 am

So close that you were not euchred. Why, ignorant to play the 9C.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat May 29, 2021 11:01 am

Spot on posts, as usual, by top players.

I can glean these principles:

1. Do not “auto-trump-low!” [“Auto-trump-low” means to automatically trump with your lowest trump. That is an average play, we do it out of habit, being complacent about our plays, seeing other players make the same mistake and not knowing what to look for. Ohio Euchre-savvy players know better!]

2.Look for advantages in your hand and play to those advantages. [Plan your hand as Dlan would say. Have a 5 card strategy is IrishWolf’s wording. You want to draw out the high trumps (or find out that they were in Partner’s hand or in the kitty). You want the lead, so you can draw out opponents trumps and make your trumps boss.]

3. Play your strengths, when you have strength. [In this hand Maker has 4 trump. That is great strength. Look further and AKQ of trump are all equal in strength! You are not wasting the Q or A of trump by playing it, instead of the 9, on Trick 2. You eliminate the possibility of wasting the 9 of trump!! You eliminate the possibility of the T of trump overtrump, as in the hand. If you get over trumped, you accomplished the benefit of drawing out 1 of the high trump. You even get to play last on the next hand. That helps you to endgame your foes!]

Keep reading the forum. The points will make sense as you continue to read and experience the situations in games. Then describe what you have learned. Share it on the forum. I just did. By posting, I can even receive more in depth guidance! Also, join our Ohio Euchre weekly games. The games can be saved for analysis and discussion on the OE forum.