WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS HAND???

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS HAND???

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri May 21, 2021 1:02 am

QS IS THE UP CARD AND ALL PASS.

You are in first seat, assume all good players and the score is 6 to 6. You hold JD AD AS 9S QH. What will you do? Answer the questions and you do not have to justify but can if you want to. It's just for fun!

1) Call Clubs, Next, but indicate your lead to the first trick.

2) Pass, I have hearts & diamonds blocked.

3) Call Diamonds, but indicate your lead to first trick.

4) Call Hearts, but indicate your lead to the first trick.

5) Call 911 for Help!

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri May 21, 2021 12:49 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:02 am

You are in first seat, assume all good players and the score is 6 to 6. You hold JD AD AS 9S QH. What will you do? Answer the questions and you do not have to justify but can if you want to. It's just for fun!

I Like to call Diamonds here when jumping the fence. I will be leading the Queen of hearts, to allow my partner a chance to trump in if they were heavy black or to possibly take it with the Ace of hearts. I'm leading away here and not pulling trump to allow my partner to cash/use their only trump some where or if they have 2 trump hopefully they can give me a good lead back where I can play my right bauer or play off and get the lead where I want it to be for an End play.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri May 21, 2021 6:54 pm

irishwolf wrote:

I'll answer each question independently just for the fun of it.
irishwolf wrote:
Clubs would be a bad call in this post. Calling Next with no trump should be reserved for those times S1 doesn't block reverse Next. When S1 does have reverse Next covered, I.E. S1 has good defense, there is no need to make super-marginal calls like Next with no trump. If I misclicked and did call Next, I would lead off with the non-turned down suit Ace (AD).
irishwolf wrote:
Change S1's hand to this:

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_Q-H)

And I think passing has merit. Not only does S1 have a euchre hand in reverse Next but it's even less likely S2 will have a club call given the Ac9c in S1's hand and even when that happens S1 has pretty decent defense against that holding too. Now back to the actual hand:

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-D) (Card_A-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_Q-H)

Yes we block reverse Next, but having no clubs makes me nervous. There's always a chance S2 is loaded in clubs, and why would I take that chance when I have a pretty good diamond call.
irishwolf wrote:
I call diamonds and lead the Right. If the Left comes out, I then lead the AD. If the Left doesn't come out I lead the AS. I think not leading the Right is a mistake in this spot. Giving oneself a chance to secure an easy point those times they get to double lead trump should the Left come out is important.
irishwolf wrote:
4) Call Hearts, but indicate your lead to the first trick.
I think diamonds is a better call (I want that AdJd). If I called hearts, I would lead the QH and hate my life if the Right doesn't come out.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue May 25, 2021 10:01 am

Obviously, (but surprisingly) not much interest in this Hand? So we will just table it!

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Thu May 27, 2021 1:21 pm

I'd call diamonds and lead rt bower

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm

jblowery wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:21 pm
I'd call diamonds and lead rt bower
I would do the same (Card_J-D) . The lead then turned down Ace (Card_A-S)

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:01 pm

Great discussion hand Irish.

I would order diamonds. I rate diamonds marginally stronger than hearts. They are a tie on the BPS. However having 2 of the top 3 trumps is stronger than LQ of Trumps and would earn the decision.

I would normally lead the Right of diamonds. The exception would be if the hand came up twice. A Qh lead is a reasonable play. It may even be stronger, but only marginally, and then only very marginally. So, to be unpredictable, I would lead the Qh, a second time with a similar hand. It also gives Partner a chance.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat May 29, 2021 12:34 am

I wouldn't. Change that Ace of Spades to the Ace of Hearts and I might consider trying that. Even that's going to be an iffy call though since we have quite a bit of strength in reverse next with both the original hand and the one that I mentioned to try that.
Yes but there's a pretty decent chance that someone has something killer in clubs. If that's the guy in second seat, this is just asking for trouble.
This is what I'd do. I'd lead the right. The left is more likely to be in one of your opponents' hands than it is to be in your partner's and I'm going to hope that my right lead can take it out. If I don't manage to take out the left with the first lead then I'll follow this up with the Queen of Hearts, hoping that second seat can take it and give me last play in the next round (although I won't be mad if my partner takes it instead).

With this hand, I might even try to do a loner in diamonds, although I doubt I'll try that at a score of 6-6. If it was something like 6-1 in the opponents' favor though, I might try this as a loner.