4-9 Friday Night Euchre Hand #4

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Post Reply
Tbolt65
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm
Location: Las Vegas

4-9 Friday Night Euchre Hand #4

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm

North/South is leading 7-6. North is dealer and is going alone. Let see what transpired. Thoughts?




https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D



Tbolt65
Edward

Image



irishwolf
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 pm

The point is that it confusing for S3 to play the 10D on trick 3. Diamonds is dead from the first trick. But in defense of S1, playing the 9C to trick 3 (as it should have), the Dealer would have gotten his loner because S3 would play the 10S to trick 3 anyway, saving clubs.

justme
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Unread post by justme » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:47 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm
North/South is leading 7-6. North is dealer and is going alone. Let see what transpired. Thoughts?




https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65
Edward
I consider leading a lone ace to a loner a no no. It can cause the seat 3 partner to have to choose which ace to save for last trick, if he has the other 2 non trump aces. If 1st seats ace is any good for a trick, it would still be good at a later trick. In this hand seat 3 did not have 2 non trump aces but he did have a doubleton spade that could have stopped the loner.

Tbolt65
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 pm

Seat 1 makes the mistake of leading their only single Ace. Typically you never want to lead your only Ace from seat 1 to the maker/dealer on a loner. You don't want your partner in seat three have to choose between Aces if they had two of them. thats why you lead something else. However now that seat 3 in in a predicament about what to keep. Trying to figure out what Seat 1 is covering and possible what could be Dealers loser suit(s). With having low suited and off suit cards left. I favor keeping your doubleton in hopes dealer may have that and you get a stopper. I see what seat 3 did trying to split to see what to keep, but in all honesty they are too low to do so. If they had say Ks-Qs and Kc. i can see the split but still a tough decision. With having Js-10s and Qc. You gotta hope your partner they way it was played has that Ace of clubs and keep the double spade. So two errors compounded and it ends up costing their team the game and a failure to get a stop.

Tbolt65
Edward

irishwolf
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 am

I agree Justme.

The proper card to lead from Eldest is the QS, not the AD. Then the 9C first opportunity. If that was done, the loner would have been stopped. Why because, more often from Dealer's seat will be an Ace doubleton than and Ace + trailer (statistically saying). Why and what is the proof: When cards are dealt, you will get 2, 2, 1 (2 of 2 suits and 1 of another), statistically at 39%. And 2, 1 , 1, 1 (every suit) is at a lower percentage. That is a fact!

If club or spade been led, S3 follows suit then has Ace guarded and would stop the loner.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 1521
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 am

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:00 am
I agree Justme.

The proper card to lead from Eldest is the QS, not the AD. Then the 9C first opportunity. If that was done, the loner would have been stopped. Why because, more often from Dealer's seat will be an Ace doubleton than and Ace + trailer (statistically saying). Why and what is the proof: When cards are dealt, you will get 2, 2, 1 (2 of 2 suits and 1 of another), statistically at 39%. And 2, 1 , 1, 1 (every suit) is at a lower percentage. That is a fact!

If club or spade been led, S3 follows suit then has Ace guarded and would stop the loner.
Yep. I agree. I just wanna point out that leading the lone Ace against a loner is a grave sin not just becuz you put your P in a squeeze those times they have 2 aces. That's the easiest way to explain why this lead is wrong but I actually don't think it's the primary reason this lead is bad. I suspect the bigger reason is this: those times your S3 P has a trump + a void, usually their only chance to trump in and possibly save the day is on the first lead. After that the maker is gonna clean them out (sometimes S3 will have 2 trump + a void and still get a chance to trump in on 3rd street but that's more rare).

So every time S1 leads his lone ace he is effectively eliminating another way his team can stop a loner becuz those times his P has a trump + a void are now rendered useless. Needlessly useless cuz if S1's lone ace is good it will be good on ANY street so there's no need to play it on the first lead, wait til the end.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 1521
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 am

Tbolt65 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 pm
Seat 1 makes the mistake of leading their only single Ace. Typically you never want to lead your only Ace from seat 1 to the maker/dealer on a loner. You don't want your partner in seat three have to choose between Aces if they had two of them. thats why you lead something else. However now that seat 3 in in a predicament about what to keep. Trying to figure out what Seat 1 is covering and possible what could be Dealers loser suit(s). With having low suited and off suit cards left. I favor keeping your doubleton in hopes dealer may have that and you get a stopper. I see what seat 3 did trying to split to see what to keep, but in all honesty they are too low to do so. If they had say Ks-Qs and Kc. i can see the split but still a tough decision. With having Js-10s and Qc. You gotta hope your partner they way it was played has that Ace of clubs and keep the double spade. So two errors compounded and it ends up costing their team the game and a failure to get a stop.

Tbolt65
Edward
I'm not convinced S3 made a mistake on that. I have no clue what does better in the long run. Committing to the QC or the JsTs. That's a tough spot imo.

Post Reply