Learning by replaying a hand

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
MeeKer

Learning by replaying a hand

Unread post by MeeKer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:05 am

I'm looking for an app or a website that let's me replay a hand so that I can explore the different ways of playing the hand.
The Euchre Workshop (https://ohioeuchre.com/euchre-workshop.php) comes close but it is not the same as a real game:
There's no up card.
There's no bidding.
There's no partner.
There are no opponents.
All the cards are visible.

Euchre Hub (https://euchrehub.com/) allows me to play a hand and then review it (and save it) so I can recreate it with physical cards, but that's quite tedious.

I'd like to compare:
1. The way I actually played the hand
2. The optimal way of playing the hand, based on an analysis that is more thorough than what's possible during an actual game
3. The way I would play the hand if I knew everyone's cards.

I'm interested in any differences in the outcome. After all, just because the hand is played differently, it doesn't necessarily mean that the outcome is different. I'm especially interested in that one trick that makes the difference between getting 1 or 2 points (or 1 vs. 4 points when going alone), or being euchred. And, I'm wondering about the different outcomes based on calling and being euchred vs. passing and losing 1, 2 or 4 points.

Also, I'd like to replay the hand from each seat.

Is there an efficient way of doing this with software?

Thanks.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:48 pm

You can pretty easily do it with a regular deck of cards if you just play all hands yourself.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:23 am

I'm not sure if this really helps or not, but on Trickster Euchre, you can play against the bots and you can replay the same hand or re-deal a hand, I like to mess around with it occasionally and see how certain things play out, like how often can I get away with a marginal call when crossing the river or how many times that good looking call from 3rd was really a trap.

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 pm

@jspectre, thanks for the suggestion.

I've been on Trickster Euchre and gone to "Practice" (against the computer) but I don't see where I can replay the same hand.

Where is that option available?
Thanks.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm

@MeeKer

Sorry, I should have specified, because I only discovered it by accident the first time. In practice mode, If you click on your user name then you can replay the hand or re-deal the cards, but be aware that the hand ends very quickly when the last card is being played, so restart the hand or re-deal before that happens if you want to take another look at it.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Yahoo Group Euchre Science that was started by GerryBlue had something like that at one time. It was on java and I don't believe the "EuchreLab" works anymore.

Tbolt65
Edward

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:58 am

@jspectre, thanks for the hint. :)
The feature is useful but not quite what I'm looking for.

It's too bad that there's no software for improving euchre skills. Playing is not the same as deliberate practice, and viewing a website (even one as comprehensive as OhioEuchre.com) is neither playing nor practice.

It's tedious to use a deck of cards to deal specific hands, and then re-deal them to explore the outcome of various choices. I was hoping for an app or a website that could help.
Last edited by MeeKer on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 am

MeeKer wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:58 am
@jspectre, thanks for the hint. :)
The feature is useful but not quite what I'm looking for.

It's too bad that there's no software for improving euchre skills. Playing is not the same as deliberate practice, and viewing a website (even one as comprehensive as OhioEuchre.com) is neither playing nor practice.

It's tedious to use a deck of cards to deal specific hands, and then re-deal them to explore the outcome of various choices. I was hoping for an app or a website that could help.
I have found that website vs app euchre was much better for hand review. Since there were options to see last hand and to also watch a particular player via kabitz(via yahoo euchre). Combined with player chat one was able to discuss hands in the game during play and after. It was a very valuable learning experience. Since I've got back in the last 10 months of playing Euchre on the app. I find you really don't have that and I have found the general populas of those apps. Has a weaker game play as a result.

Hand review and critique is very valuable especially when you can test it, either live or with help of a simulator.

Tbolt65
Edward

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm

When you say "that website", do you mean https://www.trickstercards.com/game/?

What do you mean by "via kabitz(via yahoo euchre)"?
Last edited by MeeKer on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm

MeeKer wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm
When you say "that website", do you mean https://www.trickstercards.com/game/?

What do you mean by "via kabitz(via yahoo euchre)"?
Opps, let me clarify.

When I mean that. Websites in my opinion is better verses an app.

Yahoo euchre had the option to see a players hand face up if they allowed the kabitz option. So if everyone had kabitz turned on who ever was at the table watching can see all the cards.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:21 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:48 pm
You can pretty easily do it with a regular deck of cards if you just play all hands yourself.
Yeah idk the answer to the OP, but that's what I do. I just practice at the kitchen table a lot dealing out hands. I always put my imaginary self in Seat 1 since that's the most important seat in the game.