2 low + 2 aces

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Post Reply
jblowery
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 am

2 low + 2 aces

Post by jblowery » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am

You're the dealer. Would you typically pick up a (Card_K-S) when you also have a (Card_10-S) but 2 side aces? Or let it go knowing that 1 or 2 of those aces are still probably good for a trick whatever else is called?



Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm

jblowery wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am
You're the dealer. Would you typically pick up a (Card_K-S) when you also have a (Card_10-S) but 2 side aces? Or let it go knowing that 1 or 2 of those aces are still probably good for a trick whatever else is called?
As dealer, if I don't block all loners I always pick up two trump + two off aces.

EG:

I'm calling spades If I have:

(Card_10-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_A-H) (Card_9-H) (Card_A-C)

In this case I block nothing which makes it more imperative to call.

Richardb02
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Post by Richardb02 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:05 pm

jblowery wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am
You're the dealer. Would you typically pick up a (Card_K-S) when you also have a (Card_10-S) but 2 side aces? Or let it go knowing that 1 or 2 of those aces are still probably good for a trick whatever else is called?
I would pick up with your hand as well as the hand that Wes used to make his point.

I use a BPS (Bidding Point System), which is a post, and Wes' hand has a value of 2.25 points. This is one notch above the minimum of 2.00 to order. I estimate a 72% chance of success.

Your hand is one notch stronger at 2.50 points.I estimate an 80% chance of success. Of course, that means a 20% rate of getting euchred, even with this stronger hand. Losing 20% of the time is too much for many Euchre players.

My question to you is, why are you looking at your aces as the reason to pass? If you pass, the aces are not boss but the bowers are boss. That is why I look at the Jacks to consider passing. The possibility of a 4 point loner is too great, if I don't hold Jacks. You should also look at this hand from a defensive point of view. Your hand is extremely weak against 2nd hand calls. As a strong defense,
you need to loosen your requirement to pick up to protect against 2nd round Loners.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Here's an example of a well played 2 low + 2 aces hand I found online for you guys to check out:

http://members.tripod.com/~Borf_Books/ecolum91.htm#leadvol2

The setup is we are ahead 9-7 as the dealer and if we pick up the (Card_Q-D) we have:

(Card_Q-D) (Card_10-D) (Card_A-S) (Card_A-H) (Card_Q-H)

Post Reply