Ever Had an Opponent...

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Ever Had an Opponent...

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:34 pm

That was as smart as a box of rocks?

I completed a quickie online game this afternoon. We ended up winning 10-1, but that's due to the fact that one of the opponents was making calls that we kept euchring! Literally, we euchred this guy 5 times in a row.

A few very dumb calls. I'm the dealer holding:

(Card_J-H) (Card_A-H) (Card_J-D) (Card_Q-C) (Card_K-D)

He orders me to pick up the (Card_Q-H) while he was in first seat holding only the King-9 and a bunch of 9s and 10s in other suits.

Okay, I can see doing that as a block but when you block you also want to lead trump. He actually led the 10 of clubs on this hand.

Just thought this is something that would get a pretty good laugh out of people, unless anyone can come up with a reason why you'd be deliberately letting yourself get set five times in a row... :lol:

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:34 pm
That was as smart as a box of rocks?

I completed a quickie online game this afternoon. We ended up winning 10-1, but that's due to the fact that one of the opponents was making calls that we kept euchring! Literally, we euchred this guy 5 times in a row.

A few very dumb calls. I'm the dealer holding:

(Card_J-H) (Card_A-H) (Card_J-D) (Card_Q-C) (Card_K-D)

He orders me to pick up the (Card_Q-H) while he was in first seat holding only the King-9 and a bunch of 9s and 10s in other suits.

Okay, I can see doing that as a block but when you block you also want to lead trump. He actually led the 10 of clubs on this hand.

Just thought this is something that would get a pretty good laugh out of people, unless anyone can come up with a reason why you'd be deliberately letting yourself get set five times in a row... :lol:
Yeah there's no way to make sense out a call like that. You'll definitely run into a lot of craziness online. You pretty much never see play like that in real life unless a lot of alcohol is involved due to the simple fact that it's psychologically a lot harder to screw over your partner when you are face to face with them.

As you said, his call can be defended in some spots for blocking purposes but odds are this guy was just mashing buttons (the population of people who actually block is pretty small, less than 1% is my guess), and as you also said, if you do block always lead trump as this site advocates.

BTW I've been euchred 5 times in a game twice over roughly 20K games. Both times online. Not a fun experience :) In both cases my partners accused me of losing the game on purpose and both blacklisted me. If that only happens once out of 10K games, I'm ok with it.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 pm

BTW I've been euchred 5 times in a game twice over roughly 20K games. Both times online. Not a fun experience :) In both cases my partners accused me of losing the game on purpose and both blacklisted me. If that only happens once out of 10K games, I'm ok with it.
And here I had a partner the other day that blacklisted me because I ordered up a queen while holding left-ace-king and a pair of green kings and ended up getting euchred. Seriously? That's a good call... especially because I didn't even go alone with it!

Streblerm

Unread post by Streblerm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm

his call can be defended in some spots for blocking purposes but odds are this guy was just mashing buttons (the population of people who actually block is pretty small, less than 1% is my guess), and as you also said, if you do block always lead trump as this site advocates.
Blocking is something that is widely misunderstood, possibly I would include myself in this statement. The few times I made an obvious and appropriate donation call I was only met with anger by my partner and disbelief from my opponents. I would say 1% is accurate if not generous. I rarely see anyone else do it.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Streblerm wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 am
Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 pm

his call can be defended in some spots for blocking purposes but odds are this guy was just mashing buttons (the population of people who actually block is pretty small, less than 1% is my guess), and as you also said, if you do block always lead trump as this site advocates.
Blocking is something that is widely misunderstood, possibly I would include myself in this statement. The few times I made an obvious and appropriate donation call I was only met with anger by my partner and disbelief from my opponents. I would say 1% is accurate if not generous. I rarely see anyone else do it.
Yeah, you generally only see it among experienced players that generally know what they're doing (and it's not even common there).