Unreasonable partners?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Streblerm

Unreasonable partners?

Unread post by Streblerm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am

I had a partner get so angry he threw the game over this one. His screen name was “stupid f**** never win”. Oddly prophetic.

I was in seat 2, 1st round and the score was 9-7 in the opponents favor holding
(Card_A-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_A-C) (Card_Q-C) (Card_A-D)

I called it with the up card being (Card_K-H)

It turned out the dealer was holding
(Card_J-H) (Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_A-S)

My thought was this was a decent hand for me, I didn’t really have anything blocked, And if I passed there was a good chance of losing to a next call. It wasn’t as if I called up the right.

Was this a bad call on my part?

The very next game we ended up losing when my second seat partner called up the right in the first round at 9-6 opponents favor. I had

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_A-S)

I always play a relatively aggressive strategy so there was no reason for my partner to order this up holding
(Card_K-H) (Card_10-H). I was pretty miffed And I don’t remember if he had any off aces or not.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Streblerm wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am
I had a partner get so angry he threw the game over this one. His screen name was “stupid f**** never win”. Oddly prophetic.

My thought was this was a decent hand for me, I didn’t really have anything blocked, And if I passed there was a good chance of losing to a next call. It wasn’t as if I called up the right.

Yes it was a bad call. Down 9-7 with that holding you must go alone and try to steal this game. Always play to win. You only need two cards buried to have a shot.

Also it goes without saying your partners behavior is shameful and inexcusable. I would never wanna play with someone like that.
Streblerm wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am
The very next game we ended up losing when my second seat partner called up the right in the first round at 9-6 opponents favor. I had

I always play a relatively aggressive strategy so there was no reason for my partner to order this up holding
(Card_K-H) (Card_10-H). I was pretty miffed And I don’t remember if he had any off aces or not.
Down 9-6 your partner's call is atrocious. This is your team's shot at a glorious ending and he ruined that possibility by calling up with a garbage holding. Pure level zero, only focused on the cards in my hand, play.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:33 pm

You have five aces there. Which of you had the Ace of Trump?

First of all, you had no way to know if the dealer had a perfect loner there. As you say, you didn't order up the right... I might be a bit miffed at you if you ordered the right into my hand without having three trump but I wouldn't throw the game over it. Yesterday, I had a partner order me up (I was dealer). I had left, ace, king, queen, and a green ten. Up card was the right. Yeah, I was a bit miffed about that and I would have won the game had he let me go alone, but I didn't start acting like a jackass following it.

As Wes points out, you should have gone alone yourself with that hand. Realistically, with you ordering the king to your partner (and thus eliminating it from play), the only way you're going to get euchred is if one of your opponents is holding a Dutchman and in that case, you're going to get set whether you bring your partner along or not.

This is a good example of why you always want to get a good idea of your partner's bidding style. If I'm in the second seat, the only time I'm ordering up the right is if I'm holding at least three trump. The exception to this rule though is if I've seen my partner bid very timidly. Something like him passing on the right and then playing another card from the same suit and a side ace or two later in the hand. With a partner that I know will pick up if he's got anything at all in his hand, I'll usually only call with a hand that I'd be better off going alone on myself.

For example, in second seat holding this:

(Card_J-D) (Card_Q-H) (Card_10-H) (Card_A-C) (Card_10-C)

Upcard is the (Card_J-H) .

I'll absolutely order my partner up, but then I'll go alone myself. With the right out of play, I'd have to have an opponent in third seat with a killer hand (three trumps himself) to stop me. If you're playing using that app in which a lone player always has last play on the first trick, it's nearly impossible to stop this.

Streblerm

Unread post by Streblerm » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:15 am

Interesting, I hadn’t considered my hand in the first scenario a loaner. I guess I’m not as aggressive as I thought. That is why I keep coming back here. Thanks!

Given my partner’s rating, in that scenario, with his attitude and his screen name I am relatively certain he was upset because I ruined his loaner but the point is well taken about my error.

In my defense I don’t typically see players in my bracket calling a hands like that as a loaner. Losing is pretty good lesson for me. Again, that’s what I appreciate about this site.

Streblerm

Unread post by Streblerm » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am

The app I use is Euchre 3D. It’s strictly stick the dealer for rated games and play order is dictated only by who is the dealer.