Discarding trump

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
LindaB

Discarding trump

Unread post by LindaB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I have searched everywhere. There is much discussion in our group concerning discarding trump. When you have five trump in your hand and your partner orders up trump. you will be discarding trump. Is there a rule anywhere that states a player must say "I am discarding trump" Thank you for any help offered.

Play2Win

Unread post by Play2Win » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Most players do not realize it is permissible to discard a trump. The correct circumstances won’t happen very often. As you said, holding five trump and turning up another is possible. There are also other possibilities. When the occasion does occur, it is unnecessary to inform your opponents. Not telling could even workout in your favor. They may misplay, thinking you still hold a trump.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 pm

This to the statement made that you can discard the trump card:

The post stated, "Most players do not
realize it is permissible to discard a trump. The correct circumstances won’t happen very often. ..."

THE LAWS OF EUCHRE BY LEEDS & DEWIGHT 1888 (also stated in current Hoyle books) states on page 31 rule 88 states,
The Trump card cannot be discarded.

There are many old euchre books that state the same.

IRISHWOLF

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 pm

I stand corrected. Sorry LindaB, I gave you the wrong information without checking the facts. I was told this by one of my early euchre mentors. It seems that he was also mis-informed.

Thanks IrishWolf for setting me straight on this.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Okay Linda if you want some modern Hoyle books that state this about the discard there are several:

Hoyle's Games Modernized - Cards - Board Games and Billiards by Lawrence H. Dawson (2013) (1898,1963 & 2008 ed. same the same). They all quote Leeds & Dwight 1888 Laws of Euchre. These are mostly reprints from year to year on p88 to 99. Page 99 is the note. Dawson also quotes that there is no official code as you might find for Bridge.

You should be able to find one of those Dawson editions in a local library.

Irishwolf