WORST MOVE IN EUCHRE - #3 LEADING BACK

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

WORST MOVE IN EUCHRE - #3 LEADING BACK

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Suppose the dealer up up the KH. KS was led, 2nd seat players AS, third 9S and dealer 9D. After winning the trick, 2nd seat now leads the JS.

This is close to playing one against 3 - the dealer's partner has put him in a SQUEEZE. 3rd seat just might have the left unguarded and worst of all, eldest is now behind the Maker. It kills the dealer from calling thin. Worst yet, 2nd seat may be void in trump.

I see it all the time. Go figure!

IRISHWOLF

Don

Unread post by Don » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:38 pm

The biggest problem with playing any card game is the randomness of the deal, in that those plays sometimes work out. In that player's mind, he did something right, so if it worked once, well it may work again…

This is why it is so difficult to teach those that don’t have that built-in card sense.

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 am

Leading back is effective in a lot of situations though. I think that is the confusion. Sometimes it is good and sometimes bad. For example, it seems to be great when you are on the defense, right? Let's say I'm in 1st seat and the dealer picked up or was ordered to pick up. I lead with an Ace and take the first trick. If I have another card of the same suit I'm going to lead it again. If dealer had one of that suit there is a good chance he/she will have a second one because they want to make themselves 2-suited.

In the situation you name above though, I agree it is a bad move.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 am

jblowery wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 am
Leading back is effective in a lot of situations though. I think that is the confusion. Sometimes it is good and sometimes bad. For example, it seems to be great when you are on the defense, right? Let's say I'm in 1st seat and the dealer picked up or was ordered to pick up. I lead with an Ace and take the first trick. If I have another card of the same suit I'm going to lead it again. If dealer had one of that suit there is a good chance he/she will have a second one because they want to make themselves 2-suited.

In the situation you name above though, I agree it is a bad move.
It's a great move when you're on the defense and leading through the maker. This is because the maker is likely void in a suit that has already been led once, so he will trump it. Ideally, your partner is also void in the same suit and will be able to overtrump the maker (or throw off, essentially forcing the maker to waste a big trump).

It's not such a great move when you're on offense though for the reason irish describes as it'll force the maker to either use one of his big trumps on what may not be a strong call (ie he can't really afford to use a big trump) or risk being overtrumped by the player behind him.