Should I have called trump?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
DreamboatPat

Should I have called trump?

Unread post by DreamboatPat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 am

During a game, this hand came up. I thought I would get some opinions on it. My partner dealt. The up card was a (Card_10-H) and she passed.

Now it is my turn. I held the (Card_K-S) (Card_J-S) (J K of Spades), (Card_A-C) (Card_Q-C) (A Q of clubs) and the (Card_10-D) (10 of diamonds) .

I passed, but wondered if I did right. Would calling spades or maybe clubs have been the better play.

Play2Win

Unread post by Play2Win » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

With your partner turning down a red suit, calling one of the black suits gives you the best chance of making a point. The hand you show begs for a club call.
Using the card pics here distracts from you post, just saying. ;)

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:02 pm

This depends a lot on the other three players . . . are they likely to bag on next? What is their experience level, etc. etc.

With this hand, crossing suit to clubs or spades and you MUST not count on your partner for a trick, as he/she most likely has hearts & diamonds. So do you have three probable tricks? Answer is that you have most likely have just tricks in either suit. You make clubs who has the AS? You make spades trump - 5 trumps are out against you!

Irishwolf

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:02 pm
This depends a lot on the other three players . . . are they likely to bag on next? What is their experience level, etc. etc.

With this hand, crossing suit to clubs or spades and you MUST not count on your partner for a trick, as he/she most likely has hearts & diamonds. So do you have three probable tricks? Answer is that you have most likely have just tricks in either suit. You make clubs who has the AS? You make spades trump - 5 trumps are out against you!

Irishwolf
It looks like you read the hand wrong. The hero's partner turned down a red card, given that you don't block next and you have a strong black holding it is mandatory that you call reverse next here (Clubs).

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 am

Depends on the score. If I can afford a loner against I'd probably pass STD or not. If not it's risky to pass in case 3rd seat has the loner in the other red suit. I'd probably call spades here. That's quite a weak hand in clubs but if you call spades you have a good chance of 2 in trump alone and you have an ace offsuit.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:39 pm

XaviRonaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 am
Depends on the score. If I can afford a loner against I'd probably pass STD or not. If not it's risky to pass in case 3rd seat has the loner in the other red suit. I'd probably call spades here. That's quite a weak hand in clubs but if you call spades you have a good chance of 2 in trump alone and you have an ace offsuit.
I disagree. I don't think this hand is score dependent. A club call with 3 including the Left after your partner turned down a red card is simply too strong to ever pass on, no matter what the score, when you don't block all suits.