Adjustments when playing inexperienced opponents

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Streblerm

Adjustments when playing inexperienced opponents

Unread post by Streblerm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:39 am

I have been playing euchre for many years and have recently brushed up on my strategy. This site has been tremendously helpful in bringing my game to the next level. It has opened my eyes to some of the errors I had been making. It also gave me a better understanding of how and why to call next/reverse next. I had gut understanding of the concept but the clear explanation made me realize how many times I was passing on an opportunity or calling up something I shouldn’t.

I mostly play online on A-star 3D Euchre on my iPad rated. Rarely do I get the same partner twice so almost every game is a clean slate. Early on I check my partner/opponent’s rating to get an idea of their experience level but it’s hard to tell for sure. Many times I feel more like one person playing three rather than two groups of partners but I guess that’s the nature of the platform.

So here’s my question and I know it is a very general one maybe even too general to answer. How do you modify your strategy when playing opponents who (unknowingly?) pass dirty?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

So here’s my question and I know it is a very general one maybe even too general to answer. How do you modify your strategy when playing opponents who (unknowingly?) pass dirty?
The biggest problem isn't opponents who unknowingly pass dirty. It's partners that can't figure out what you might have or don't have based on your calls. The obvious one here is going against Hoyle. If I'm your partner and the dealer and I turn down the Ace of Spades, odds are pretty good I don't have a black bower in my hand to help your clubs call so you'd better not try that call if you're only holding Queen-10.

You're correct that inexperienced players oftentimes pass on hands that are real point makers. There's not much you can do about this other than only calling when you're holding three guaranteed tricks in your hand. That's a losing strategy in the long run. Experienced players will often pass too if they've got a solid hand both in the turn suit and in something else figuring that they'll play for the euchre if the enemy calls.

What you can do is be a bit more aggressive in your calls when your partner is the dealer. For example, let's say I'm in second seat holding this:

(Card_K-S) (Card_10-S) (Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_Q-H)

Turn card is the (Card_J-S) .

If I've got a solid player that knows what he's doing as a partner, I'm going to pass here. An experienced dealer will never pass on the right if he's got anything else in his hand and he could very easily try a loner here. I've got a good helper hand in spades though if needed. If my partner is somewhat timid or inexperienced though, he might pass on this even if he has another trump (maybe even a side ace) in his hand. If I know my partner is like that, I'll order the right into his hand.

Streblerm

Unread post by Streblerm » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines. The knee jerk reaction to play more conservative didn’t seem like the right move. There really is nothing you can do about your opponents. It still stings when you get euchred on a 1st seat next call and the dealer is holding the right and a singleton green ace.

Watching your partner and forcing the call on a high trump if they are timid seems to be working. I’ve been giving them one chance and if I see them turn down a bower with a biddable hand then it’s on

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Streblerm wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm
Thanks. I was thinking along those lines. The knee jerk reaction to play more conservative didn’t seem like the right move. There really is nothing you can do about your opponents. It still stings when you get euchred on a 1st seat next call and the dealer is holding the right and a singleton green ace.

Watching your partner and forcing the call on a high trump if they are timid seems to be working. I’ve been giving them one chance and if I see them turn down a bower with a biddable hand then it’s on
Yeah, I think the biggest adjustment you can make is ordering your partner up from the 2 seat a little looser. As you've correctly said, "There really is nothing you can do about your opponents". And the reason that is so is because in euchre you are often compelled to call thin no matter what your opponent reads are. E.G. you often gotta make thin next calls when you don't block reverse next to protect your team no matter how conservative the opposing dealer or seat 2 may be.