01-24-22 OE Monday - Costly misplay/misclick

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

01-24-22 OE Monday - Costly misplay/misclick

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:49 pm

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:49 pm

This hand was so bizarrely played it almost looks like there's multiple misclicks. Assuming the misclick you're referring to is S4 discarding the 9H instead of the KS well then S4 badly misplayed this hand after that. S4 has the instant euchre on trick 1 but he mysteriously plays under and gives the trick away. All S4 had to do is count trump and realize he should trump in with a bower on 1st street and then send another bower for the instant euchre since at that point his QH will be the only trump left.

Other than that, I know we always donate up 9-6 when we're not guarded but this S1 holding is one of those hands where I bet it's actually best to not donate. With A-X in trump S1's team is only in trouble those times the enemy has JJX and even in that case S1's off ace can bail him out and even when that's not true, S1's partner could always save the day.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:28 pm

One more thing I want to add. S1's lead is incorrect. Always leading trump on a donate, to put it plainly, is wrong. Especially with a hand like this where S1 has a high trump + a void behind the most likely maker (had S1 passed). That's the kindof hand you have a good shot at "euchring" someone with and that's how S1 should play this hand after he donates. He should play this hand as if he's trying to euchre a S4 maker. Leading trump from that configuration just ruins his chances in most instances.

In this spot I would lead the AD giving my P a chance to shortsuit himself if he's void in that suit. I believe that lead will net S1's team the most points in the long run.

My working hypothesis when it comes to donates assuming we have a trump:

If S1 has no voids always lead trump. If S1 has a void never lead trump.

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:39 pm

again, there was soooo much material from Monday for these threads it's not funny. I must have saved every other hand it seemed. I know I don't play perfect (no one does we are humans), but dealer not getting two suited plus missing first trick trump is ammy hour.