3 low trump against a lone call

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
DreamboatPat

3 low trump against a lone call

Unread post by DreamboatPat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Here is a hand that has been popping up lately. The dealer calls alone and my partner leads a green ace.

Now I know you should always trump your partner’s ace to force them into using a higher trump. My question is this. Would it still hold true when you are holding three low trump. For argument's sake let’s say 9-10-king.

Does anyone have an option on this?

patiencepays

Unread post by patiencepays » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm

I wouldn't trump my p's ace in this situation. It takes a dealer trump to beat the ace and if the dealer has only 3 trump in his hand, which is most likeley, you have the march stopped. If the dealer holds 4 trump and can't follow the ace suit, your trump are going to get sucked out anyways. Then making the loner will depend on the final trick.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm

The reason for trumping your partner's ace with a high trump is to force the maker to overtrump you using the biggest trump in their hand (usually the right). This could give you and your partner enough trump power to stop the lone (for example if your partner is holding only an unguarded left).

In the case you specify, neither the 9 or the 10 is big enough to make any difference in the hand. The king is, but maybe not here. Most likely, the dealer called holding Right+Ace (or both bowers) and two suits. If this was a first round call, it's almost a sure bet they're holding a third trump as well. The dealer could overtake even the king without having to use his highest trump in this case. Don't bother using your trump here then. Your king will stop a three trumped hand later on. If dealer has all four remaining trump, it'll depend on what the fifth card is.

Now, change your 9 to the Ace then it's suddenly a different game. In that case, trump with the king.

DreamboatPat

Unread post by DreamboatPat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks for your answers! I truly enjoy playing euchre but is so much to remember. Rules, exceptions to rules and so-on. I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever get it right.