8-7-21 OE Friday Hand#2

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

8-7-21 OE Friday Hand#2

Unread post by Dlan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:35 am

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:44 pm

I chalk the poor decisions up to heat of the battle jitters.
The number 1 priority is the score 9-9. The game is 100% riding on this hand.

R1S4 passed a good order LQ with an Ace high reverse next trips and 2 voids.
R2S1 Next was correct, even though it failed. In the heat of the battle, if I was S1, I would chalk it up to adverse card distribution and move on. Euchre is a game of chance and you have to take a chance to win, especially when the score is 9-9.
Sitting here though as an armchair quarterback though, makes it easy to see that S1 could have taken 3 tricks and the game by ducking the Js lead on Street 3! Even pretending to be sitting in S1 and only seeing what he sees, ducking is the best play. S2 has no trump and no spades KQs is in the wild. S3 has the Ks or Qs and is likely to have a trump (there are 2 trump in the wild). So throw away the useless 9c, give your partner a chance and an excellent chance, with this hand! For full disclosure, I have no confidence that I would have made the correct play. But by playing OE games I am seeing more and more of these missed opportunities in real time. By visiting the OE forum the games are saved, shared and discussed in detail to help everyone improve their Euchre. Participate on the OE forum and in the OE games on Monday or Friday night is my recommendation.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:36 pm

I don't agree that the dealer should be playing diamonds here, they have a stronger hand in next, and have very good euchre opportunities here. I know that S2 would be ordering this up if they even had a marginal hand to help with, so unless they are holding next, I should conclude they have more strength in clubs, and with my JQA in spades, the odds of S1 crossing the river are quite slim. The only reason this hand would have worked out with a diamonds call is because 2 trump are buried. Yes, I would have been euchred on a next call with perfect play, but that's still a risk I'm willing to accept, given the situation.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 pm

Dealer calls diamonds and discards the KH, he makes his point. That is not statistically the best call tho.

However, I would also pass with this hand at any score except 9 to 6 (Even pass at 9 to 7). Okay, WHY?

1) This assumes at 9 to 9, my partner at S2 will assist with any hand he has with weak hands, such as: any 2 trumps, Right bower, two aces. He did not and it means he has little to assist, maybe one trump or an off suit ace. This is a week hand, with a Trip headed by an ace and left guarded.

2) I have to pass but I have something to run to, Next and Spades. If S1 passes I know my partner call C's, S's or H's and I have lots of help in any suit he calls. Only in Clubs will S1/S3 survive but wait, I have a partner and maybe he has that locked up (and he does).

3) If S1 calls next, he will be in big trouble with the Hand the dealer holds.

One might ask, if the score is 9 to 7, why pass (the dealer)? Reason being you donate and put them at 9 to 9 with their deal and a 65 to 70% chance of winning is more unfavorable than passing with this hand. 9 to 6, different story as a march is only 16% chance for a sweep. S1 only needs JC/AC with a AD trip for a loner. So donate at 9 to 6 but not 9 to 7.

This to me is just another one of those set-up hands by WOCG for the dealer to pass. S1 holds 3 Hearts that looks like a sure call for a point, steps into the abyss.

IRISHWOLF

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:14 am

I agree with wolf's well thought out post. S4 should pass with that holding if he has an strong P, as a strong P passing at 9-9 from the 2 spot signals he has very little help and S4 is sitting pretty with a euchre hand in Next and spades.

Would also point out, after S2 shows he is covering clubs on trick 2, S1 ABSOLUTELY HAS to play off and throw his 9C away on trick 3. That's his team's only chance--to throw that club away on S4's double spade lead and hope S3 has another trump to take it.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Thank you Irish for your excellent post explaining why a R1S4 pass is the strongest play, even with the score 9-9. Thank you, a 2nd time, for explaining the world-class thinking when the score is 9-7 vs 9-6.

Wes, thank you for explaining why S1 should clearly see to play off on trick 3. You succinctly explain how it can be deduced in a real-game situation!

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:04 pm

This is just me but here I like to lead the Ace and this is not after the fact. Wes knows I like to lead the Ace so he should be able to say Edward's not lying. I like to force out the big trump if not make my opposition make a mistake. In this hand as we see it would allow seat 3 to play the 9 of trump and saving the left, which would have helped later in the hand and be able to get the point.

Tbolt65
Edward