Ordering up the right

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Don

Ordering up the right

Unread post by Don » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:04 pm

:oops: Ok, my pet peeve for the day are partners that order the right with only two small trump in their hand.

While playing on-line, this happened. I dealt, turned up a (Card_J-C)

Here was my hand (Card_10-C) (Card_K-C) (Card_J-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_A-H)

The first seat led a small diamond, My partner trumped with the 9. I overtrumped and my partner never took a trick.

I watched his cards and he ordered with (Card_Q-C) (Card_9-C) an (Card_A-S) along with two other small spades.

And guess what. We lost at 8 - 8 when our opponents made 2 points on the last hand.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Don, I feel your pain.

Now onto something more important, like bidding. LOL. :lol: If you are in Seat 2, what is the minimum hand before you ordered your Partner?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 am

Richardb02 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 pm
Hi Don, I feel your pain.

Now onto something more important, like bidding. LOL. :lol: If you are in Seat 2, what is the minimum hand before you ordered your Partner?
Depends on the score. I'll generally not order up my partner if the upcard is the right. There are two exceptions to this:
1. When I've noticed that my partner is extremely timid on bidding (ie. he doesn't bid but after the hand is played out, it's pretty obvious that he should have and he does that multiple times)
2. I'm holding three trump.

When playing against random bozos online, a lot of them don't play alone when they really should, especially from the dealer spot. It's hard to tell early on in the game if you were lucky enough to end up with a smart partner or not.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm

A timid partner is a strong reason to order up.
3 trump is straight forward. I would definitely order up.
I'm looking to consider slightly weaker hands.
What about Seat 2 holding Left A, or Left K, or Left Q?

Don

Unread post by Don » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 pm

I agree with what RedDuke said on points 1 and 2. I’d also add unless I am playing with a strong partner known to play a lot of lones, I’d order with left – x and an off ace.

Now, let an online partner pass one biddable hand, depending on the score, expect me to order the next time around.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:18 am

Richardb02 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm
A timid partner is a strong reason to order up.
3 trump is straight forward. I would definitely order up.
How aggressive is your partner? Normally, those hands you mention aren't strong enough for me to order up the right. Unless I know that my partner is one that is super timid.

Last night I had a partner pass the right and then later in the hand I saw her play another card of the same suit. She even had a green ace. When you have a partner like that, I'm ordering up if I've got Left+1.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Don wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 pm
I’d also add unless I am playing with a strong partner known to play a lot of lones, I’d order with left – x and an off ace.
With no read I also order left + 1 and an off ace at neutral scores given that people in general pass too much and don't go alone enough (altho I would never order if I had all suits blocked). If down alot tho I would pass with this hand hoping my partner has enough to go alone.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:48 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm
Don wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 pm
I’d also add unless I am playing with a strong partner known to play a lot of lones, I’d order with left – x and an off ace.
With no read I also order left + 1 and an off ace at neutral scores given that people in general pass too much and don't go alone enough (altho I would never order if I had all suits blocked). If down alot tho I would pass with this hand hoping my partner has enough to go alone.
I've noticed that too when playing with random people online. They tend to pass way too much. They also don't go alone with hands that are good loners (I've gone alone while holding nothing but Right+9 and three off aces before and even tried with weaker hands than that). Most people don't try calls like that, so your partner probably won't try a loner. The only real reason not to order up your partner from second seat is messing up a possible lone call but if your partner wasn't going to try a loner anyway then there's no downside to you.

Don

Unread post by Don » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Any experienced player will pick the right with any other trump in their hand, even a 9, ordering them with only left-x is risky.

Now that changes with a timid or inexperienced partner. You may need to name trump for them.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Don wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm
Any experienced player will pick the right with any other trump in their hand, even a 9, ordering them with only left-x is risky.

Now that changes with a timid or inexperienced partner. You may need to name trump for them.
It's not necessary risky. If you're in second seat holding Left+1 and order the dealer to pick up the right, you'll probably not get euchred. The risk though is that your partner will be loaded up on trump and have a void so you're risking their chance to go alone and get four points. That's the main reason not to call when you only have two trump.

Like you said though, with a timid partner, they probably won't go alone anyway without a killer hand so in that case you may as well order up.