Was This The Best Play

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Was This The Best Play

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 pm

I'm in S1. Was this the best way for me to play this?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

justme

Unread post by justme » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Either ace lead works for me. Your team would have had the euchre had S3 played properly on the 4th trick. Why would he give the other team their 3rd trick when he clearly should have overtrumped S2 left bower on that trick. Wow! rookie.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm

I sometimes don't mind leading trump here against opponents who will call with less than 3 trump if I have a good feeling it's a weak call, but otherwise you played everything as well as you could have. Bad hand all around, S2 doesn't use his only good card on an ace, and doesn't get punished for it, and then 3rd seat, not wanting to be upstaged, simply plays off and lets them get the last trick they need for a point, but at least his right bower survived until the end, some could consider that an accomplishment in itself.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:56 am

RedDuke wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 pm
I'm in S1. Was this the best way for me to play this?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D
I think leading the AS is better than leading the Next Ace. A doubleton green ace is equivalent to a singleton Next Ace, but leading a doubleton green ace gives you more strategic options on trick 2. When you lead that doubleton green ace (AsTs) sometimes you'll catch the dealer/maker holding the same offsuit and you can often tell that the dealer likely has another one of that suit, and you can exploit that fact by leading the Ts on trick 2 which can lead to your partner getting a cheap trick putting your team 1 trick away from a euchre.

As far as the actual hand, I just wanna point out that S4 made an expert marginal call up 8-4. Can't pass that hand when you only block 1 out of 3 2nd rd suits and you have no Next cards. S2 not trumping in with the Left on trick 1 is terrible and S3 is probably a secret agent working for the other team!