6-11 Hand #6

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

6-11 Hand #6

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Down 5-8, no need to jump the fence and get euchred for the loss. Live to fight another day. If you're going to jump fence here, at this score. Any three trump preferable. Right-Ace or Right-King Off ace with no stoppers in any other suit or other aces is a possible call here too.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm

STRONGLY disagree, and look what passing does. S2 has JD JH KD 9D. Now 9 to 5, what do you think your probability of winning is? About 5%. Must call something. Too bad Next was not called here.

IRISH

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm
STRONGLY disagree, and look what passing does. S2 has JD JH KD 9D. Now 9 to 5, what do you think your probability of winning is? About 5%. Must call something. Too bad Next was not called here.

IRISH
It's better than being down 5-10 because you've already lost the game. You can't win anything unless your still playing. Only time I find this play even, remotely correct is at a 9-9 score and now it comes to you in seat 1. You will never see me make a statement that they need to pass here. You are using the same logic some use as to make that desperate loner attempt. I'm going to quote something in a recent post I just responded before coming to this one. "

"Being down -3, -4, -5, -6 points or more IS NO JUSTIFICATION or excuse to try loners. It's the faulty logic of well I gotta try to catch us up. Being steady will often prove better and more consistent...."

In other words. Give your team an opportunity to have a better shot at achieving your goal instead of hastily trying hands that often miss the mark to the detriment of the team's final end goal.

Tbolt65
Edward

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 am

That is just B.S. You did not answer the question, 9 to 5 what is your chance of winning? And you do not agree that you have to call something?

That's losing Euchre!

IRISH

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:45 am

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 am
That is just B.S. You did not answer the question, 9 to 5 what is your chance of winning? And you do not agree that you have to call something?

That's losing Euchre!

IRISH
This spot f**king sux. Passing feels like giving up. Calling Next with no trump, no aces feels like giving up and jumping the fence in hearts with two low hearts + nothing else feels like giving up. When S1 gets dealt a hand like that down 5-8, his team is mathematically f**ked no matter what he does. I refuse to get worked up over what line is less horrible here. I do agree with Wolf in spirit tho as far as "gotta call something" . That's how I approach this spot but it's basically impossible to prove that assertion is correct. I would call Next in this spot and hate my life doing it. If the euchre gods came down and told us that passing here is actually best, it would not surprise me.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:34 pm

NEVER, pass down 8 to 5! You will be surprised of the wins doing this versus Passing.

~IRISH

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:30 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 am

That's losing Euchre!

IRISH

I did answer the question, 5-9 your in the game , 5-10 your out. How ever daunting that is, you still have a fighting chance. I've been saying this since I came here( to Ohioeuchre) There are times to pass and take that chance. This line here will lose you more games than you win over all. So much can happen here with a pass that can even benefit your team this bidding round. You even may end up with points. Whether that be +1, +2 or +4. Once upon a time there was no one that called more than me. NO ONE. I am still a very aggressive player but I try to manage spots to slow down on the euchre's and not mindlessly give away points. This by no means makes me weak or not calling enough. This is me being prudent, selective and a little bit of calculated gambling. I never give up on a game or hands.

Tbolt65
Edward

justme

Unread post by justme » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 pm
irishwolf wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm

IRISH
It's better than being down 5-10 because you've already lost the game. You can't win anything unless your still playing. Only time I find this play even, remotely correct is at a 9-9 score and now it comes to you in seat 1. You will never see me make a statement that they need to pass here. You are using the same logic some use as to make that desperate loner attempt. I'm going to quote something in a recent post I just responded before coming to this one. "

"Being down -3, -4, -5, -6 points or more IS NO JUSTIFICATION or excuse to try loners. It's the faulty logic of well I gotta try to catch us up. Being steady will often prove better and more consistent...."

In other words. Give your team an opportunity to have a better shot at achieving your goal instead of hastily trying hands that often miss the mark to the detriment of the team's final end goal.
Tbolt65
Edward
I completely agree in principle with your view. Knowing only what he sees at the table, no matter what is done by S1 in this situation the odds are heavily stacked against his team. It is what it is. The dealing team only scoring a single point here keeps you in the game. And scoring a single is the most usual result in euchre. Nothing makes the enthusiasm of playing with somebody sink like an anchor more, than when they give the game away by naming trump with a "play God" hand and easily getting euchred when the opps are on 8 points. On 9 points, ok! There's no tomorrow. But with opps on 8, don't play God partner, you're a meer mortal.