Tbolt65

6-11 Hand #7

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 pm

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:25 am

Tbolt65 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 pm
Good euchre by defending Team.
If S4 discards correctly, he gets the point. That may seem like a results oriented thing to say but these little things matter in the long run. Keep the QD and get rid of the TC. There is an inherent advantage in being void in the longer suit.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:54 pm

I definitely agree with Wes about the Qd, but I'm wondering if 2nd seat actually made a mistake here by trumping the Ad, he only has a dead suit to lead back, and 1st seat gets to play last. The maker has shown both black suits so far, so it's very likely that he is void in diamonds. It's absolutely critical for the maker to be able to lead the right in this situation, where the opposing team has two tricks, and has used a trump each. 2nd seat trumping with the queen blocks out the makers 10 from being able to take control, and he is busted after that. I would show my A in spades on that Ad lead, and leave the rest in my partners hands. I'm only trumping here if I can dish it back.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:58 am

jspectre wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:54 pm
I definitely agree with Wes about the Qd, but I'm wondering if 2nd seat actually made a mistake here by trumping the Ad, he only has a dead suit to lead back, and 1st seat gets to play last. The maker has shown both black suits so far, so it's very likely that he is void in diamonds. It's absolutely critical for the maker to be able to lead the right in this situation, where the opposing team has two tricks, and has used a trump each. 2nd seat trumping with the queen blocks out the makers 10 from being able to take control, and he is busted after that. I would show my A in spades on that Ad lead, and leave the rest in my partners hands. I'm only trumping here if I can dish it back.
I was in the 2S and I was very aware of the above dynamic. My thinking was IF the maker has both bowers my trump could save the day, and if the maker has Right-Ace or Right-King they could always overtrump my Queen and take control anyways. Unfortunately the Maker had the one hand that gets totally f**ked by me trumping in, Right-Ten.

But the more I think about it the more I believe trumping in was a mistake. If the maker has JhAh or JhKh they probably WONT over-trump my Qh unless they have a boss offsuit backing them up which they can't have. And even if the maker has both bowers, as long as their loser is a spade, playing off in that spot can't hurt my team. So given that we know the maker is void in diamonds based on the action, down 2 tricks the 2S should not trump in on trick 3 with the QH given that he has nothing but toxic lead backs.