9-9 Interesting Hand

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

9-9 Interesting Hand

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 am

How would you have played this? Notice that I've got everything blocked as S1. I don't want to call up that heart though even with R+1 because I'm handing the dealer exactly what he needs.

Notice how I've got 2 tricks in pretty much every suit because of that ace. If my partner can get one, we can sweep for the euchre. That's exactly what happens.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:12 am

I like your play if you had 8-9 them or 8-8. I think that would be very acceptable play however at 9-9 passing first round is fine but passing second round is not. You need to order something. There is no tomorrow. You give a shot at them making something and eeking out a point and that's all that is needed. You have fine stopper hand with some potential to euchre but at 9-9 you need to call something either for yourself or for your team. Other wise you let the other team pick their best and they may have just enough for point and the game.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:24 am

RedDuke wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:20 am
How would you have played this? Notice that I've got everything blocked as S1. I don't want to call up that heart though even with R+1 because I'm handing the dealer exactly what he needs.

Notice how I've got 2 tricks in pretty much every suit because of that ace. If my partner can get one, we can sweep for the euchre. That's exactly what happens.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D
As Edward said, passing this hand down 9-8 or even down 9-X is acceptable with a euchre hand. One of the few exceptions to the "never pass when they have 9" heuristic. But at 9-9, you gotta call Next here. That's the best suit for your team in this spot in the long run. You don't get extra points for euchring them so play to win now. Your first round pass was standard, and given that you pass-passed, and the dealer called you played the hand perfectly. With the Left in your hand, your heart double lead is expert. If your P has the Right your line flushes it out, and if your P has has a high trump that can force out the Right, your line also flushes it out. Good play. Very few players understand the power of that line.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 pm

9 to 9, YOU CAN'T PASS!

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:25 pm

I think the dealer makes a bad STD call. it's either next or spades.....cannot give up an ace high to work as a trump in this case. Not saying they make it, but clubs is NOT the call.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm

LeftyK wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:25 pm
I think the dealer makes a bad STD call. it's either next or spades.....cannot give up an ace high to work as a trump in this case. Not saying they make it, but clubs is NOT the call.
The dealer didn't really have a good call here regardless.

I agree with you. If all you have is an Ace with no jacks, you don't want to make that suit trump because then your ace has a decent chance of getting taken out by a bauer unless you can ensure that you get the last play. This isn't a guarded ace either, which makes it worse.

At the same time, spades would have not been a good call either. The dealer has two clubs, one of which is the ace. So if he makes spades trump then there's only five clubs in the wild, two of which are already in his hand. There's a very good chance that somebody has a void in clubs and if it's either me or my partner then the ace is getting trumped.

The dealer knows that if his partner has any power, it's more likely to be in a black suit than a red one. So diamonds is probably not the best call. Both of the black suits open him up to trouble as well though.

I agree with you... spades probably would have been a better STD call given what the dealer had. He'd want to try and save that ace until everybody else is out of trump though, which might be hard given that he doesn't really have any power to keep control.

EDIT: The more that I think about it, it might not have been a bad strategy for the dealer to try a diamonds call (reducing the odds that his ace will get trumped) and praying that his partner has the right or a hand full of aces.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:18 pm

I'm calling hearts here, I'm going to take the chance to make a point with 2 trump +1 void, and an AQ in clubs than to pass, what is almost surely a game ender in next. We only make a point with a diamond lead, and 1st seat playing the club instead of the spade after he uses his JA on my partner's trump lead, but I still like those minimal odds than passing here and hoping my partner has diamonds and black covered. I also think clubs is the wrong call, an AQ in next could be a boss pair if you can get a trump lead, but it's still somewhat close.