WORST MOVE IN EUCHRE - #2

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

WORST MOVE IN EUCHRE - #2

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am

This is in my opinion the second worst move in Euchre. The dealer for example turns down hearts. Eldest passes and 2nd seat passes. Third seat makes clubs, you have crossed the suit as Next was diamonds because you don't have any. However you do have clubs.

Now your partner at 1st seat has a shit hand (no aces and four suited) but does have one club (or any club) and does not lead it. 3rd seat (called Pone) is begging for lead. At some point, eldest then obstructs by trump a trick that Pone has an ace and now has nothing to lead back putting Pone in a position to be over trumped by the dealer. It is like playing against threee players.

Very frustrating and ignorant. Pone is not making trump for his partner and needs that lead of trump.

Irishwolf

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am
This is in my opinion the second worst move in Euchre. The dealer for example turns down hearts. Eldest passes and 2nd seat passes. Third seat makes clubs, you have crossed the suit as Next was diamonds because you don't have any. However you do have clubs.

Now your partner at 1st seat has a shit hand (no aces and four suited) but does have one club (or any club) and does not lead it. 3rd seat (called Pone) is begging for lead. At some point, eldest then obstructs by trump a trick that Pone has an ace and now has nothing to lead back putting Pone in a position to be over trumped by the dealer. It is like playing against threee players.

Very frustrating and ignorant. Pone is not making trump for his partner and needs that lead of trump.

Irishwolf
Were you my opponent last night?! Someone on the opponents' team did this in a game I was playing online.

Crossing the river in first seat generally requires a pretty solid hand. I won't normally do it unless I'm holding at least the Right+1 high trump (King, Ace, or Left) and a side ace. It's even tougher to pull off when you're in third seat because you still have the dealer behind you and if he turned down a red card, it's pretty much a sure bet that he's holding something solid in black. Plus, if your partner passed, it's got to mean one of two things:

1. He has at least one guaranteed trick in every suit (ie. something like holding (Card_J-S) (Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_A-C) + 1)
2. He's got total garbage

The second one is more likely, at least in just about every game I've ever played. If he actually does have the first hand though, then if you've got a good shot at two tricks, then take it. Problem is that you don't know what he has.

Usually, if I'm in first seat and my partner crosses, I don't have any trump at all.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Stick to the post, I am not in 1st seat.

I am in 3rd seat and cross the suit. Of course I have a strong hand and just need a logical lead of trump from eldest if he has it. Or an ace if not.