Friday Night Euchre Hand #7

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

Friday Night Euchre Hand #7

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 am

Score 4-4, Seat two orders up Diamonds. Let's take a flop and see what happens(doing my best Doug Polk impersonation) Or in this case Let get to the action and see what happens.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 am

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 am
Score 4-4, Seat two orders up Diamonds. Let's take a flop and see what happens(doing my best Doug Polk impersonation) Or in this case Let get to the action and see what happens.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65
Edward
S3 misplayed this hand when he led trump on 3rd street. At that point it is known that the Maker's P, the dealer, is out of trump. When the dealer burns the upcard on trick 1, and then leads an off ace on trick 2, that's a sure sign he's out of trump. Knowing the maker's P is out of trump, S3 should not be leading trump on 3rd street, as a trump lead will now be more likely to hurt his team than help it. To use Irishwolf's words, S3 needs to go fishing in this spot. Additionally, S3's P, S1, led off with a garbage card which correlates with S1 having no off aces. S3's team already has 1 trick, and S3 has another guaranteed trick in his hand. Most likely his only chance to get a euchre here is to go fishing with the KS hoping his P has a void and can trump in and get that crucial 3rd trick.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat May 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Fishing would not help here. The best way for S1 to help, knowing S2 assists with weak hands is fire off that 9D, little trump. Odds are he is assisting weak. Then wait and see which doubleton he has to catch the dealer later on. A far better strategy. and that would have guaranteed a Euchre.

When you have two doubletons, one a K/Q it is always better to lead the K of that doubleton, IMO. If the dealer happen to have the AC, now what do you do with the KH/QH? Dealer has the AC/KC or even your partner, the JC is no good anyway.

IRISHWOLF

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 am

S3 misplayed this hand when he led trump on 3rd street. At that point it is known that the Maker's P, the dealer, is out of trump. When the dealer burns the upcard on trick 1, and then leads an off ace on trick 2, that's a sure sign he's out of trump. Knowing the maker's P is out of trump, S3 should not be leading trump on 3rd street, as a trump lead will now be more likely to hurt his team than help it. To use Irishwolf's words, S3 needs to go fishing in this spot.

I agree with what Wes says here. See if your partner can assist with taking a trick with trump or Forcing out a higher trump and now S3 will be behind the maker in either scenario which benefits a potential euchre.

irishwolf wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:52 pm
Fishing would not help here. The best way for S1 to help, knowing S2 assists with weak hands is fire off that 9D, little trump. Odds are he is assisting weak. Then wait and see which doubleton he has to catch the dealer later on. A far better strategy. and that would have guaranteed a Euchre.

When you have two doubletons, one a K/Q it is always better to lead the K of that doubleton, IMO. If the dealer happen to have the AC, now what do you do with the KH/QH? Dealer has the AC/KC or even your partner, the JC is no good anyway.

IRISHWOLF
I am not saying you are wrong Irishwolf let's just say I am of a differing opinion on what to lead and why. With seeing what the maker lead a club. I can see either lead of the club or heart here to establish what suit to potentially keep for a doubleton stopper. This takes out the guess work for later in the hand and you can read both Maker/seat2 hand and Dealer hands better by doing so. If Seat 1 had two trump, I would then favor seeing a trump lead. Me personally I would have lead exactly what Seat 1 did. Knowing most people do discard Next suit, I would be trying to find an Ace off suit or a potential trump in leading this reverse next suit to get a potential stopper from Seat 3. Plus I would have a void suit which is also valuable here. In a different scenario where Seat 1 might of had two trump and two off-suit aces I would favor leading trump there as well. To promote the aces and to potentially drain dealer of only trump and to bring about a potential euchre if Seat 2/maker was calling light. Now however in this scenario as it is. I would refrain on leading trump here like Seat 1 did. I believe that could lead to more Seat2/dealer marches than a potential euchre or a save a point from doing so. It just put your hand too much at risk and you have to essentially start guessing at what suit to dump early on and potentially give up the save from a march.

In the end from how it was played, to how it might of been played it's all about reading the hands properly to try to ascertain the best line of play regardless of which line was taken. Something Seat 3 misses out on here maybe wasn't paying attention or assumed they could euchre the maker(S2) themselves.

Tbolt65
Edward