What Is This Guy Thinking?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

What Is This Guy Thinking?

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 am

Sometimes, you have to wonder what some people are thinking.

In a recent game, my partner and I were winning 8-4. I dealt and was holding this:

(Card_J-H) (Card_A-D) (Card_9-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_9-S)

Upcard was the (Card_J-D) .

First seat orders me up and I discard the nine of spades.

First seat then leads the (Card_A-S) . My partner and third seat both follow suit. I take the trick with the nine of diamonds.

At this point, I'm wondering what in the world the guy in first seat called with!

I lead back the Ace of Diamonds, first seat then throws off the (Card_Q-S) , my partner follows suit with the (Card_10-D) , and third seat plays the (Card_Q-D) .

I then lead back the two bowers for the euchre. I end up taking all five tricks.

Any ideas what first seat was actually thinking? I could see ordering the right up as a block, but we were already winning 8-4! Blocking would hand us the game...

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 am

RedDuke wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 am
If this game was played in real life, first seat being super drunk would be the only reasonable explanation. If this game was played online, then misclick skyrockets to the #1 possibility. Stuff happens so to speak. I've also seen good players online accidently donate when their opponents were already at 8. Obviously a mistake which can happen if you're multitasking while playing euchre on your phone. Humans tend to think they can do two things well at once. They're usually wrong. Also have seen players online intentionally lose on purpose (something I've never seen irl).

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:28 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 am
RedDuke wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:44 am
If this game was played in real life, first seat being super drunk would be the only reasonable explanation. If this game was played online, then misclick skyrockets to the #1 possibility. Stuff happens so to speak. I've also seen good players online accidently donate when their opponents were already at 8. Obviously a mistake which can happen if you're multitasking while playing euchre on your phone. Humans tend to think they can do two things well at once. They're usually wrong. Also have seen players online intentionally lose on purpose (something I've never seen irl).
It was an online game, yes. A mis-click is certainly a possibility. I figured it was that or he wasn't paying attention to the game.

Online, I guess some players just get tired of the game (or tired of their partner) so they intentionally throw the game on purpose so that they can quit. The particular app that I use on my tablet (nice to play a couple rounds before I fall asleep) gives you a much bigger hit to your rating if you quit than if you lose the game so that might explain it.

Frankset

Unread post by Frankset » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:07 am

Oh - so what happened after you passed? And what did the other players have in clubs and aces?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Frankset wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:07 am
Oh - so what happened after you passed? And what did the other players have in clubs and aces?
I didn't pass. I was the dealer and euchred them.