Friday 4-22 Hand #5

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

Friday 4-22 Hand #5

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 am

East orders up themselves diamond as dealer. Seat 1 leads Ac, Seat 2 trumps with left of trump, Seat 3 plays Queen of clubs and maker/dealer plays 9 of clubs. Seat 2 then play Queen of diamonds/trump and Dealer plays the Ace and proceeds to keep bleeding trump since Seat 2 is out of trump and they want the opposing team to make choices on what cards to keep and to pull any remaining trump. The defending team had a chance for a stopper but had to decide to keep the boss club or go and keep a doubleton fresh suit to the King of Hearts. Perhaps they thought it would better to keep the fresh suit because maybe they know dealer can easily be three suited in off suit. They could be at a crossroads at what to keep and decided to keep the hearts instead of the club. If this was say seat 2 that had ordered up the dealer or another position I would agree to toss the king of clubs because more likely the other makers couldnt short suit themselves since they would not have been the dealer. Most of the time When in the dealer position, they will be try to be two suited so people need to watch out for that and then make a decision on should they keep it just in case maker was two suited and treat it like they were going alone. I would say yes to that. If you guess wrong you guess wrong. That could be the case here though in Seat 3's line of thinking. They were going to go one way and if they guessed wrong , they guessed wrong.

I personally would have kept king of clubs(that's just me) and just hope maker had another club since the first one was just a 9 of clubs. I know it looks like 20/20 hindsight but it's definitely something everyone should consider.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:16 am

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:47 am
I personally would have kept king of clubs(that's just me) and just hope maker had another club since the first one was just a 9 of clubs. I know it looks like 20/20 hindsight but it's definitely something everyone should consider.
This is definitely not a 20/20 hindsight situation. S3 made a clear unequivocal mistake. S3 needs to hand read better. The dealer/maker played the 9C on the first lead, and since the dealer already had a chance to created a void, this strongly suggests he has another low club. With no winners in his hand, S3 needs to hold onto that boss KC for his dear life! This spot is tougher if S3 has to choose between an Ace or that KC but often even then, holding onto that KC is best. In this hand there is no choice. S3 MUST hold on to the KC.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Oops! The picture doesn’t match the hand. I believe that the Hand 6 pic was used on this hand 5 OP.

Great points though.

When Maker/Dealer sloths off a low card, there is an excellent possibility that he has another card in the same suit. Especially, if it is a green suit. So hold onto a winner in that suit, even if it means sloughing an Ace in a fresh suit. Is that a reasonably worded, General Principle?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Yes, but hopefully your mind is put easy at rest if your partner at the end shows a possible double heart then it makes it that much easier to toss the Ace and king the club. How ever, like wes said. It can be a tough decision if you do have that fresh Ace and he's right but I still think you gotta bite the bullet and keep the club.

Tbolt65
Edward

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Oops! The picture doesn’t match the hand. I believe that the Hand 6 pic was used on this hand 5
Ya, fixed