Holding the three top trump

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Fran

Holding the three top trump

Unread post by Fran » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:05 am

In a hand where you hold the top trump and call from the first seat. What would give you the best chance of making two points? Lead the three trump or an offsuit first?

(Card_J-H) (Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_K-S) (Card_10-S)

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 am

You are not setting up the situation? 1) There is a big difference between 2nd round vs ordering up the Dealer; 2) What the score?
Why are you not going alone with this hand?
The chance the opponents have the AS is 56% and 44% they don't. Then the chance an opponent has a doubleton spade. Not to mention that the opponents have to defend in the blind three off suits to defend.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 am

I'd go alone with that hand.

What was the upcard? Is this a second round call or a first round call? That all makes a huge difference. For instance, if the upcard was the Ace-Spades, dealer turned it down, then you immediately declare hearts and go alone, lead the three trump then lead the king. The ten will almost certainly walk and net you four points.

Fran

Unread post by Fran » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 am

It seems like the best play would have been as a lone. If a similar situation comes up I will try it that way.
Thanks for the quick response.
Fran

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 am

Fran wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 am
It seems like the best play would have been as a lone. If a similar situation comes up I will try it that way.
Thanks for the quick response.
Fran
It's not always going to be the case that you should go alone when you have all three top trump but it in the hand you showed, you're two suited and have a really good chance of making the sweep if the (Card_A-S) is either in your partner's hand or in the kitty. Even if your partner has it, he's probably not going to change the outcome of the hand so you're best off going alone.

Streblerm

Unread post by Streblerm » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am

Hi everyone, first post and I know this isn’t a super current thread but I thought I’d chime in as this is a pet peeve of mine.

Personally, I think if you are going to play it like a loaner then you should call a loaner. I would with this hand. You can’t get euchred. Either your partner has the ace or doesn’t, going alone won’t change the outcome.

you want help from your partner then give them a chance to help and don’t pull all their trump. Depending on other factors if I decided not to call a loaner I would consider either a trump lead followed by the ten or just leading the ten.