R1S4 Order or pass?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Richardb02

R1S4 Order or pass?

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Score 6-1, your favor
Average, actually weak (Karman Bots) opponents and partner
(Card_A-C) Up Card
(Card_9-S) (Card_Q-S) (Card_J-D) (Card_A-D) (Card_Q-C)
I evaluate the hand as 1 factor below breakeven, BPS=2.25. EVo=-.13
Defensively, I am weak blocking a Next Loner.
Score, IMO, tilts towards ordering to block a Loner.
I ordered.
Comments?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 pm

I think here is the REAL question: Every time you have a bad hand to the Upcard, are you going to order, or order to block a loner?

~IRISHWOLF

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:27 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 pm
I think here is the REAL question: Every time you have a bad hand to the Upcard, are you going to order, or order to block a loner?

~IRISHWOLF
Q1. No. I was not clear in my explanation. If I didn’t consider defensive considerations, I would pass.
Q2. No. I look at it more nuanced than “every time.” If I had K9 in spades instead of Q9 in spades, I would pass.

My questions are: 1. Do you ignore defensive considerations from the hand in question? 2. If you consider defensive considerations, what is your decision process?

I sense that I have been ordering too much based on blocking. I am looking for guidance. I may need an extreme makeover or even a complete overhaul in my approach, not just the adjustment that I had envisioned! I am open, even eager for guidance.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Im just passing here. No order to make, no order to semi donate and no order to flat out donate. Im just passing. Hoping my partner gets the call. If not I feel comfortable in getting a stop myself with exception in hearts. Ive only have one potential off suit stopper.

Tbolt65
Edward

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Great question(s), do ignore defensive calls from S2. Yes & No, IMO. If I have a hand with nothing to call in 2R, but two trumps with an ace singleton then I might assist depending on score & situation. It is always also, can I afford a euchre. But that is not really a defensive call as such. It a call of Offense because I have nothing to call for 2R. I call this, BEST I GOT.

But almost Never (or Rare) would I do that with a good partner or to block as such from 2nd seat. Reason is you have no idea what your partner has as dealer. Trust your partner to make good decisions, and that includes block from the dealer seat and that also includes defensive calls.

The two seats of making defensive calls is the dealer and eldest positions, not S2 & S3. Just my humble opinion. -Irishwolf

RI SAID, "My questions are: 1. Do you ignore defensive considerations from the hand in question? 2. If you consider defensive considerations, what is your decision process?

I sense that I have been ordering too much based on blocking. I am looking for guidance. I may need an extreme makeover or even a complete overhaul in my approach, not just the adjustment that I had envisioned! I am open, even eager for guidance."

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 pm

RI
Now to the next comment you made, it really kind of separate, "are you t too aggressive in calling". Another difficult question but I do think so in some situations your making may be with some hands that are too weak. You can do that when the score & situation is right for it. But in general, when you are playing with and against good players, I would say back off a tad (because I or whomever, just might bag on you knowing that). Pick your spots, like behind in score or way ahead in score but NOT when +/- 1 or even as it can give away he game. And most of all, don't be PREDICTABLE. If you are predictable, your are a sitting Duck. And track those hands you made that were aggressive, good and bad so you can later evaluate.

Here is another thing, I have evaluated hundreds of games from different view points and parameters. So one is on euchres, Statistically, if you get euchred three times in a game, your chance of winning that game about 1 in 8 times (about 14%). Poor results! Even twice being euchred, your win percentage tails off to winning about 30% Sometimes, you have no choice (making weak calls) but you have to be careful. Myself, I probably get euchred too much. I know the odds but sometimes think I can beat those odds when statistically things are stacked against me. But you know what they say about opinions, and "everybody has one"!

I sense that I have been ordering too much based on blocking. I am looking for guidance. I may need an extreme makeover or even a complete overhaul in my approach, not just the adjustment that I had envisioned! I am open, even eager for guidance."

I will have more to say about "blocking" at a later time.

~Irishwolf