Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Richardb02

OE 030121 Up 9-6 Pass or Order

Unread post by Richardb02 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:34 pm

East/West, would you pass or order?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:53 pm

I would have ordered from seat 2s postion. Luckily seat 1 still picked up. I did not watch the rest of the hand. Just seeing what happened on round 1. Got to go for the close out win at 9 to 6 your lead and deal.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 am

Richardb02 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:34 pm
East/West, would you pass or order?
Passing that hand early in the game can be reasonable. You block 2 out of 3 suits and you even have a euchre hand in Next. BTW never get over-enthused about blocking Next given that like 99% of the euchre population doesn't even call Next, they just play their 5 cards. But you should feel nice and toasty inside if you're in a tough game and S1 is the type to call Next thin.

But notice when you're up 9-6 having a euchre hand in Next means nothing. You just need 1 more point to win the game. Your team gains nothing extra by euchring the enemy. So just think about the fact that you have a reasonable shot to end the game right here, and the fact that you don't block all suits (having no spades in your hand should make you extra paranoid at this score) gives you more reason to call now when you have a good shot to end it.

I'm not gonna fault S2 for passing this hand tho. It is kind've a mindf**k hand. You block 2 out of 3 suits, with a euchre hand in Next, your Ace is a dirty tripleton. The impetus to call doesn't feel that strong. But I think calling is best here. Altho if a good simulation proved me wrong I wouldn't be that surprised.

That said, props to the dealer for making a good expert dealer donate! I can't remember who the 2 seat was or the dealer was cuz I haven't looked at the downloads yet but the dealer is the star of this show. He saved the game by playing to win instead of merely playing his cards.