North/South asks

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

North/South asks

Unread post by Dlan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:10 pm

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm

I’m confused. North/South won! Your headline, “North/South ask How could we have lost?”

The passing/ ordering went exactly as I would have played the hand. The debatable play was the North lead, S2, on Trick 2 (Street 2). The double lead worked, but is not the general principle. The general principle is to lead a trump back to the Maker as soon as possible. In this case, leading trump, would have drawn trump and the point would have been secured.

South, S4 ducking on Trick 2 (Street 2) is my major takeaway on this hand. I would have probably trumped, in the heat of the battle and being rattled by the double lead. South saw that the Kh was boss, which is as good as the 9 of trump, and would draw trump! Trump was drawn and the hand was won. So perhaps, the hidden gem, is ducking on Trick 2! That could also be the answer to the question in this post’s headline! The hand is a lesson in how to respond to a double lead. It is also a lesson in giving your partner a chance.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:37 pm

For the dealing team. For all round 1 actions I am in agreement. At 9 to 8 your favor you do not want to be giving up a euchre plus the best hand for the dealing team is seat 2. Unfortunately he has no trump.

For the non-dealing team. 1st round play is also acceptable. You are looking to possibly euchre the opponents for a potential win. Seat 1 and 3 are both too weak to order the bower and the better play like I mentioned is to play fir a euchre if they pick up.

Since it was passed not once, not twice but 3 times after the bower was turned down I will say this. I dont fault the dealing team at all for passing twice from seat 2. I however can not see why seat 1 or 3 passed a second time. They need to call something. They are down and they cant willingly give the other team a potential call especially when a bauer has been turned down. Seat 1 preferably has to call but if its gets back to seat 3 there absolutely no way he/she can pass here at this score in the current situation. My advice is call something. Passing is not an option.

Tbolt65
Edward