S3 guard left but needed to overtrump on 3rd trick

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
LeftyK

S3 guard left but needed to overtrump on 3rd trick

Unread post by LeftyK » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:24 pm

What makes this hand stick out to me is that the 2nd trick BOTH S2 S4 rid spades and with me holding two of them, I paused for a bit and thought "one of them has another spade and I believe it's the dealer (caller).... and so I led spades on third street. So S2 plays trump and this is where my p missed a golden opportunity for a euchre. I think you must, MUST overtrump in this situation.

What do you think ?

(Notice 2nd hand I did what I just said, I played my highest trump b/c if I don't s2 wins that trick and changes the entire hand)

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:38 pm

LeftyK wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:24 pm
What makes this hand stick out to me is that the 2nd trick BOTH S2 S4 rid spades and with me holding two of them, I paused for a bit and thought "one of them has another spade and I believe it's the dealer (caller).... and so I led spades on third street.
Yep, once the dealer showed a spade on 2nd street you absolutely MUST lead a spade on 3rd street. The dealer showed a heart on 1st street, and a spade on 2nd street, so we know the dealer's void is in clubs. Thus leading clubs on 3rd street--right to the dealer's void--would be playing to the strength of the enemy, a critical mistake. Leading spades gives your team the best chance at a euchre in this spot, attacking your enemy's perceived weakness. I realize S1 didn't have a club to lead so he couldn't make this mistake, just wanted to point that out anyways.
LeftyK wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:24 pm
So S2 plays trump and this is where my p missed a golden opportunity for a euchre. I think you must, MUST overtrump in this situation.

What do you think ?
When S2 trumps the spade lead with the QD, S3 lays off becuz he doesn't wanna unguard as his team already has 2 tricks. BUT THAT'S A CRITICAL MISTAKE!! S3's guarded Left is a mirage becuz S2 will now have the lead and thus S3 will be caught in a pickle--his guarded Left prime to get stripped--with the Maker behind him who obviously has 2 trump left given that he hasn't spent a trump yet.

So my answer to your question is I think you are dead on here. S3 absolutely needs to overtrump the QD. It's your team's only chance, and it's a very good chance given that the dealer showed a spade on an earlier street.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:27 pm

For me, a good assumption that the dealer has another spade or has three trumps once S2 plays the QD. But S3 should think about it, QD & KD already played. So what does the dealer hold? Really weak JD & 9D, or JD & AD or all three. But S1 could also have the AD. So to me, you have two tricks in, you have to make it hurt.
It's not rocket science, the JH Must be played on the 3rd trick.

~Irishwolf