S3R1 should they call?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
LeftyK

S3R1 should they call?

Unread post by LeftyK » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 pm

This was not part of our OE Monday night sessions, but I thought it was interesting.....
I was in EAST seat (S2). I think since it's early (0-0) S3 should call here.
But I think when S1R2 calls they should lead trump across the river to prevent the euchre.

What are your thoughts?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Calling for me here in seat 3 depends on some factors. If dealer picks up light or if seat 1 r2 passes frequently enough. It will impact my decisions on passing or ordering up.

Seat 1 definitely should lead the ace of trump there was an order from seat 3.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:32 am

LeftyK wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 pm
This was not part of our OE Monday night sessions, but I thought it was interesting.....
But I think when S1R2 calls they should lead trump across the river to prevent the euchre.

What are your thoughts?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D
First round: Standard pass for S1 and S2. S3 has a decision to make. First I would point out that S3 should be passing this hand if he has a strong partner. But what should he do if his P is an unknown. Honestly I still pass but I recognize it's close, although if my P is a big time passer or If I'm in a close out situation (up 9-X where X = 7 or less) then I call. If S3 passes, S4 should call. Never pass R+1 if you don't block all suits.

Ok onto the 2nd round assuming everyone passed in the first. S1 should cross the river in diamonds. L+2+A is a good holding and a must call if one doesn't block all suits. Once S1 calls he must lead trump (lead the KD). Always lead trump if you have an off ace to promote. And even if he didn't have that off ace, he should still lead trump. If you don't have R+2, always lead with 3. Without the right you can't play timid here and risk one of your enemies trumping in low while his P still holds the Right. That would be a disaster. So when you have 3 trump without the Right, you gotta lead it and try to take out 2 of your enemy trump in one lead, with one of those trump hopefully being the right. Only when you have R+2+no aces is not leading trump defensible.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:47 am

LeftyK wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 pm

What are your thoughts?
That hand is a bit weak to call as S3 under normal circumstances. You've only got one bower (the left) and one green ace. The fact that the dealer gets to pick up and gets to play behind you could spell trouble in that situation. In an S3R1 call, it's absolutely critical that the maker gets the lead on the second trick. There's nothing in this hand that can guarantee that. If the dealer has the right (which he does in this scenario) then the fact that you just ordered the king into his hand means that he has a stronger trump position than you and can overtrump you twice along with having a guaranteed void (which might be in diamonds), effectively neuters your hand.

Make that left into the right and I'd call here. That would give you a way to get the lead when your partner leads trump (as he should) and that green Ace will probably be able to take a trick.

This hand is good enough to stop a lone attempt by the dealer in 9 out of 10 cases. It's also good enough to be a big help on a next call from your partner in R2.

Conclusion: I'd probably not call here. If that left was the right or if one of those little trump was say the Ace, I would call.