Stopping lones

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Stopping lones

Unread post by Dlan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:39 pm

When trying to stop an opponent’s lone call, any information you can use may be helpful.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm

kicker 9s are by far my favorite loners to make fours on :) ironcally, no spades were shown until the end so maybe S3 should have kept the singleton KS. tough coin flip.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:05 pm

I agree information is key when trying to stop a loner. You want to avoid having the same suits so you can cover all possible stopping angles. Normally From third Seat having the last play. You want to watch Seat 1 for what they have been playing so far and when it especially comes down to the last two cards. Most people are going to keep 1 suit and having two of them to make sure they have a stopper for A-x(suited) hand. Very rarely are people splitting their suited hands. Only in very rare cases otherwise you want to make a choice of what your keeping. So you can show your partner what not to keep. So you can cover as much of the off suits as you can for potential Loner stopper. This also works the same when trying to prevent a team from marching to get 2pts as well.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:05 pm
I agree information is key when trying to stop a loner. You want to avoid having the same suits so you can cover all possible stopping angles. Normally From third Seat having the last play. You want to watch Seat 1 for what they have been playing so far and when it especially comes down to the last two cards. Most people are going to keep 1 suit and having two of them to make sure they have a stopper for A-x(suited) hand. Very rarely are people splitting their suited hands. Only in very rare cases otherwise you want to make a choice of what your keeping. So you can show your partner what not to keep. So you can cover as much of the off suits as you can for potential Loner stopper. This also works the same when trying to prevent a team from marching to get 2pts as well.

Tbolt65
Edward
Yeah funny thing is if I'm south, the dealer is still getting a 4 point loner here.
South incorrectly broke up his guarded king on 3rd street. He should've thrown away the KS. That's what I would've done and that would've sunk my team's battleship (bad luck). BUUUT South's 3rd street mistake turns out to be a blessing! But he doesn't take advantage of it! North tells south what he's covering on 4th street (clubs) and yet South decides to cover clubs anyways. Lol. A total yakety sax hand by South.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:28 pm

I am actually ok with out it was played out really. Until 3rd seat Throws away his spade and keeps club. Other wise With how and what was played and what was trumped. It looks like it was coming down to 1 card to hold for a stopper as it was played Seat 3 was the sole person here that made the most egregious mistake.

Tbolt65
Edward

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Most players will try and hold their doubleton suit till the end. South should be using this to help decide.

While it may not be the best info, it's all that south has to work with.

BTW I agree with LeftyK that 9's seem to go through better than other cards, go figure.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 am

Being bored this evening I read the Posts on this loner where S3 threw the KS on trick 4, both S1&S3 saving clubs. Then I saw the comments. Amazing that all replies MISSED vital, logical information that should have prevented this Loner.

So here is my comments on information Missed. S1 played a diamond, S3 follows suit and the Dealer wins the trick with the AD. And now leads JH, JD & QH to tricks 2,3 & 4.

S3 should have realized that if S1 had a singleton QC, he would or should have led it to trick 1. This is Critical information and and vital to what S3 should be keeping, KS for trick 5. Since he did not lead the QC, S1 Must have the AC if he is any kind of good euchre player. You lead a singleton highest card and save your ace.

Secondly, S3 breaks up his doubleton KC on trick 3 was that acceptable? I say it was because the dealer led the JD on trick 3 and the up card was the QH. Thus the dealer either has another diamond (or another trump - low probability and no stopper) OR he has a singleton club or spade for the 5th card.

Wow! NO way it should this have been a successful loner. Amazing everyone missed the information available.

Irishwolf

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 am

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 am
Secondly, S3 breaks up his doubleton KC on trick 3 was that acceptable? I say it was because the dealer led the JD on trick 3 and the up card was the QH. Thus the dealer either has another diamond (or another trump - low probability and no stopper) OR he has a singleton club or spade for the 5th card.

Wow! NO way it should this have been a successful loner. Amazing everyone missed the information available.

Irishwolf
Ahh that's right. My mistake. There is no reason to worry about saving the the guarded king for S3 as the dealer can't have AcXc in this spot. With that being the case S3 absolutely should get rid of the 9c on 3rd street keeping both kings and then see what his P plays on 4th street to decide which King to keep. And once S1 plays a club, S3 should know to keep the KS.

PS: Glad you're back!