Should I have called or was I right in passing

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Suz

Should I have called or was I right in passing

Unread post by Suz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm

These type of hands come up quite often so I thought I would ask for some opinions. The up card (a 10 of spades) was passed. I had the

(Card_A-S) (Card_J-S) (Card_A-C) (Card_J-H) (Card_10-D)

I did pass as I thought that I had help for my partner or else a probable euchre if they called. Was I correct in passing or should I have called?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm assuming you're in first seat.

On a 10 of spades, I would have called that. You've probably got two tricks in your hand (only way you might only get 1 is if somebody has a guarded left and you screw up by leading both trumps at the start) and you've got a side ace.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Suz wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm
These type of hands come up quite often so I thought I would ask for some opinions. The up card (a 10 of spades) was passed. I had the

(Card_A-S) (Card_J-S) (Card_A-C) (Card_J-H) (Card_10-D)
This is an absolute must PASS. Assuming you're in the 1 seat here, a call with two trump and an ace is still marginal. NEVER call marginal when you have all suits blocked (unless it's the 2nd round and the score is 9-9). But the thing here is you don't juuuust have all suits blocked. You have what I would call a classic euchre hand. You have approx 2 tricks in all suits. Making a marginal call with this hand is quite literally a crime against humanity!!

You have a powerhouse trap hand here, the correct way to utilize it is to pass in the 1st round hoping the dealer picks up, and if he doesn't then you should pass again. That's how you deploy powerhouse euchre hands. Making a marginal call with this hand destroys its potential. If you call, now you're fighting for a point instead of having a great shot at 2 points should you pass and one of your opponents pick up. If you pass and your partner calls it, that's fine too. If your partner calls in the first round or no matter what he calls in the 2nd round, he can't miss your hand.
Suz wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm
I did pass as I thought that I had help for my partner or else a probable euchre if they called. Was I correct in passing or should I have called?
You played the hand well. Your instincts were correct!