Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Richardb02

OE 010421 R1S2. & R2S1

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:42 am

I am looking for comments on the R1S2, East pass and the R2S1, North Order Next

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:11 pm

The controversial moment of the hand is S2 passing R+1 in the first round which is generally a poor play, but S2 does have all suits blocked which makes his play defensible. I still call with R+1+nothing from the 2 spot even if I have a stopper hand, and I generally pass that hand from the dealer spot. Although that may appear to be contradictory it really is not. R+1+nothing from the 2S is a significantly stronger hand than R+1+nothing from the dealer spot. With the former hand you always have a partner who is guaranteed to have at least 1 trump and a void (those rare times he doesn't have a void he'll have 2+ aces like in this hand). In the latter case as the dealer your partner is not guaranteed to have anything. Furthermore your partner's range is expected to be on the weak side given that he already passed.

So while I would've called with S2's hand, I can't confidently say he made a mistake since he had all suits blocked. It's close enough where it would have to be put to the test in a simulation. I'm betting that pass is a mistake but we don't really know. There's lots of euchre mistakes we don't need a simulation to easily confirm. It's the gray areas that need to be put to the test.

After S2 passes and the dealer passes, S1 correctly calls Next with R+0+2 off aces (the KS is equivalent to an off ace), and S1 correctly leads the Right to promote his aces, then the non-turned down suit AD and then the turned down suit boss card (KS). S1 played his hand perfectly. Next was his strongest call and passing is not an option when he doesn't have reverse Next blocked.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:56 pm

I would have called as well in S2R1. However only time I may think about passing if seat one calls weak next hands. I really hate passing and giving up a call able hand when your giving your partner a trump and you for sure have three trump between you. As it was played out I woulda have done the same thing as Seat 1, made the same lead and follow up lead too. I'm pretty much in agreement with Wes here. I favor ordering especially when I say "Don't bag your partner" From seat 2 that is.

Tbolt65
Edward

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:41 pm

I agree with everything discussed.

What has not been discussed is the As Up Card. Where do you draw the line to allow S4, Dealer, West, to order a Loner? All players on Monday nights are aggressive at ordering a Loner! Score is not a factor since EW is ahead 5-4. It looks to me that it should tilt a bit to, give S4, Dealer a chance, since all 3 suits are blocked.