Right bower with only side aces: when to order

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
jblowery

Right bower with only side aces: when to order

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:46 pm

I typically wont order based upon only having a right bower. This includes ordering up a high card to my partner in r1 or even if it is next in r2. However, having multiple side aces change the situation. As a general rule I'd probably pick up or order r1, or call next or reverse next in r2 if I have at least 2 side aces. An exception would be if I have everything blocked (4 suited and also having opposite colored jack) or 3 of a different suite. Wondering how other people approach these situations. Thx.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Calling next r2 or picking up R1 as dealer. Is standard play for me. Same for reverse next r2 seat. Not calling r2 seat 1 reverse next with same configuration. Edit: only time ordering r1 seat 2 is at close out scores for the win or at 8 to 8 , 8 to 9, 9 to 8 or 9to 9.

Tbolt65
Edward

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:29 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:31 pm
Calling next r2 or picking up R1 as dealer. Is standard play for me. Same for reverse next r2 seat. Not calling r2 seat 1 reverse next with same configuration. Edit: only time ordering r1 seat 2 is at close out scores for the win or at 8 to 8 , 8 to 9, 9 to 8 or 9to 9.

Tbolt65
Edward
I agree with TBolt. I'll try a next call if I'm in S1 in R2. With the bower plus the aces, you have a decent enough chance of squeaking out a point, especially since your opponents probably don't have any strength in next if they rejected the turn card.

If I'm in S2, I'm not going to order anything in either round with that configuration. With the aces, I can help my partner if he calls.

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Thanks. So this is all with the 2 side aces? Not 0 or 1 ace?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm

jblowery wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:38 pm
Thanks. So this is all with the 2 side aces? Not 0 or 1 ace?
Yes.

Right + 1 side is not really a good call for R1. You're giving the dealer a trump and a void and there's a halfway decent chance that he'll be able to trump your ace.

R2 it's still an iffy call, but if you need to protect your lead, I'd probably do it anyway.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:33 am

jblowery wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:46 pm
I typically wont order based upon only having a right bower. This includes ordering up a high card to my partner in r1 or even if it is next in r2. However, having multiple side aces change the situation. As a general rule I'd probably pick up or order r1, or call next or reverse next in r2 if I have at least 2 side aces. An exception would be if I have everything blocked (4 suited and also having opposite colored jack) or 3 of a different suite. Wondering how other people approach these situations. Thx.
The time to order with R+0+nothing as the dealer is when your team has a big lead and you either block nothing or only 1 out of 3 suits. This would be a dealer donate. How big that lead needs to be is up for debate. I would say at least up 3 pts but I'm shooting from the hip here. I don't know the math. For all I know it may be correct to call with R+0+nothing even at a tie score if you block no suits. it's certainly a reasonable hypothesis in my book.

Other marginal calls I will make as the dealer (assume all calls are in diamonds and score is 0-0):

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-H) (Card_10-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_10-S)

Right+a singleton Next ace is an order for me if I only block 1 out of 3 suits

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_10-S) (Card_9-S)

Right + a doubleton green ace is an order for me when I don't block anything

As far as S1-2nd rd. Well at most scores I'm ALWAYS calling something--veering towards Next--if I don't block reverse next. For example, say the dealer turned down the 9H, I'm calling Next with:

(Card_10-D) (Card_K-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_10-C) (Card_9-C)

As far as I'm concerned the cost of passing is so high in this spot it's worth gambling on Next--basically donating in Next--hoping to get lucky and hit your P hard. I'm not making this call up 9-8, tied 8-8, and I hate my life at up 8-7, down 7-8, and tied 7-7 but I'm fine with this call at 6-6. So given my overall range in this spot, I would view a hand like this:

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_10-H) (Card_10-S)

As a premium diamond Next call. I'm being a tad facetious but you get my point. Even up 8-7, down 7-8, tied 7-7, I'm making that call and feeling fine about it. Up 9-8 I would pass, at 8-8 I hate my life.

As far as the 2 Seat: Well in the 2nd Rd, I'm close to always calling something if I don't have all suits blocked (it's just so easy to find a call here), except there are some crap hands I will pass if I have Next blocked. For example, if my P turns down the 9H and I have this in the 2nd round:

(Card_J-H) (Card_10-D) (Card_K-C) (Card_Q-C) (Card_Q-S)

I'm passing at 0-0. With a big lead I'm calling clubs just in case S3 is loaded. But if I have a hand like this (assume same 9H turned down):

(Card_J-C) (Card_10-D) (Card_9-D) (Card_10-H) (Card_9-H)

I'm calling clubs.

As far as the 2S first round, say upcard is the 9H, I'm calling if I have a hand like this:

(Card_J-H) (Card_A-C) (Card_Q-C) (Card_A-S) (Card_10-S)

Standard call for me given I don't block any 2nd round suits and I have a chance of getting 3 tricks myself. I don't worry about blocking my P's loner. It just doesn't happen often enough.

Also, don't forget about close out scores. Say your team is up 9-5, the upcard is the 9H and you're in S2 with:

(Card_J-H) (Card_10-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_10-S) (Card_9-S)

This is a MUST CALL given that you block no 2nd rd suits. Try to win the game now, if you get euchred who cares. Don't give S1 a chance to pull off a loner. For the same reason, I make this call even up 8-5. It's the best I got, I don't have to worry about blocking my P's loner cuz we're already at 8, and I really don't wanna see this hand get to the 2nd round and getting euchred is not the end of the world as my team still has a significant equity edge up 8-7.