OE members games from WoCG #1 - sent in 12/13

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

OE members games from WoCG #1 - sent in 12/13

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Here's a hand sent in by one of our members.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Any thoughts or advice for these players?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Dlan wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:29 pm
Here's a hand sent in by one of our members.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Any thoughts or advice for these players?
I would have donated from seat 1 round 1. As it was called. I would have lead the club since I was jumping the fence. To allow my partner to trump in or take it.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:00 pm

First S1 should donate in this spot. Never let the enemy win the game on a loner when you're up 9-6 and the worst case scenario is your team is up 9-8 with the deal and 72% equity.

South Seat, the dealer, makes a fine pass imo. R+1+nothing is generally a pass for me if I block all suits. I'm not sure about the game texture here, but if down 9-6 in a tough game where S1 donates, the argument to pass with all suits blocked becomes even stronger as we now know S1 has at least 1 trick in the upcard suit rendering our R+1+nothing hand even more marginal/weaker than it appears. A euchre would be more likely in this spot than normal. That said, I'm still calling despite this unfavorable dynamic if I don't block all suits.

After the dealer passes, S1's spade call is standard and leading trump in this spot is also standard imo. So so far so good. Whenever one calls in this spot with 3 trump+no off aces they should always be leading trump EXCEPT when they have R+2. With R+2, you can sometimes create an end play and take 3 tricks yourself. With R+2 crossing the river + no aces to promote I would lead the non-turned down suit and take it from there. Without the Right in one's hand like in S1's example, S1 can never create an end play so now I think it's imperative to lead trump, get that Right out in the first lead and potentially take out 2 trump from your enemy in one lead.

Ok the crux of this hand comes down to S4 making an expert play. When S1 leads trump, S4 takes the first trick with the Right, and then S4 leads trump again! Why did S4 do this????? Becuz S4 is playing for the euchre, which is what we should always do on defense. On the first lead S4 noticed that his P was void in trump and the maker's P, S3, played a low trump. After this action there is a very good chance S3 has another trump. S4 recognized that another trump lead could again take out 2 enemy trump in one lead possibly crippling S3 from ever helping out his partner, the maker.

Once we know S2 has no trump, three common configurations here will be S1 started out with 3 trump and S3 has 2 trump, or S1 started out with 2 trump, S3 has 2 trump, and the last trump is in the kitty or S1 started out with 2 trump and S3 has 3 trump. A double trump lead by S4 attacks all three configurations! Once S4 successfully bleeds his enemy from trump, then it's all chaos from there, whoever has the offsuit wins, and S4's team had the key offsuit!! Never miss an opportunity to create chaos and blow up the enemy's hand.