Adjusting to your partners play.

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Adjusting to your partners play.

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Here at OE, we talk a lot about the optimal play for each hand. However, this only works when playing with/against experienced players. When playing with/against inexperienced players one has to adjust their play. In a recent game north found himself in that position with no option but to play accordingly.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:16 am

that call is not allowed in my Euchre club (600+members) as you have to have at least one trump to call it up. Plus, I'm not donating anyways up 8-2.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 am

A score of 6 to 8 would have increased the odds of e/w winning dramatically. The idea is to try and keep your teams advantage.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:39 am

LeftyK wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:16 am
that call is not allowed in my Euchre club (600+members) as you have to have at least one trump to call it up. Plus, I'm not donating anyways up 8-2.
With a jack up?

I look at it this way. I'm really light on trump in this case so there's a good shot that somebody has quite a few of them. If it's either one of your opponents (and it's statistically more likely to be an opponent than your partner), a lone call is a very real possibility. I'd rather the game be 8-4 than 8-6 considering that I've got the next deal.

There's quite a few euchre clubs that require you to have a trump in order to name it. That's not the official rules though. I don't like that rule myself because it penalizes expert play and makes it much harder to donate. Even without donating though, a next call by first seat with a hand full of aces can be a winning play, even if you have no trump. This is because the opponents probably have hands full of green cards while your partner has something strong in next... you don't want your opponents to name trump when you can avoid it.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:03 pm

With no trump, no off aces in 3rd vs a Jack upcard and a random P this is an autocall for me at 0-0 or even 6-6 (and I hate donating at 6-6!). Up 8-2 this donate becomes undebatable/non-negotiable for me. In that case it's a super easy donate. Gotta protect the lead. Always play to win. Every. Single. Hand.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:35 pm

This time I read all the comments first. With that being said, I agree with Dlan, RedDuke and Wes.

Tbolt65
Edward