OE game What do you lead R3?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Richardb02

OE game What do you lead R3?

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm

OE Monday night game

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

What would you lead, as North, S2 in R3?

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm leading trump, I know my p has the right, so that will take out a round of trump and get 3 tricks, am I missing something?

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm always cautious when the maker takes the first trick and doesn't lead trump back. It could be a weak call.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Dlan wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:44 pm
I'm always cautious when the maker takes the first trick and doesn't lead trump back. It could be a weak call.
In this case tho there's nothing to worry about. We already have two tricks in so now we need to think about going for 2. Since we know our P has the Right, we gotta send trump hoping we can clear out the enemy. That's our best chance for 2 points. Not leading trump here would also be a bit of a mathematical catastrophe since that would mean we are giving our P a toxic double offsuit lead before trump has been led which pretty much ensures we never get 2 in this spot.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:42 pm
Dlan wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:44 pm
In this case tho there's nothing to worry about. We already have two tricks in so now we need to think about going for 2. Since we know our P has the Right, we gotta send trump hoping we can clear out the enemy. That's our best chance for 2 points. Not leading trump here would also be a bit of a mathematical catastrophe since that would mean we are giving our P a toxic double offsuit lead before trump has been led which pretty much ensures we never get 2 in this spot.
Wes nailed the fundamental principle. We own 3 tricks, so we now need to focus on playing for 5 tricks and 2 points.

I was really looking to explore the principle that Dlan nailed, if maker takes the first trick and doesn’t lead trump back, then his hand is weak. It doesn’t apply in this scenario since, as Wes’ pointed out, not only should you play for 2 points but also diamonds are toxic.

Let’s change North’s hand to:
(Card_A-S) (Card_10-D) (Card_Q-C)
To follow the illustrated hand, West would have the
(Card_10-S) instead of the (Card_A-S)

Since, you suspect that South, Dealer made a weak order, would you as North, S2 lead the Singleton (Card_A-S) ?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:42 pm
OE Monday night game

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

What would you lead, as North, S2 in R3?

I would lead trump to my partner, unless I know my partner is not strong or a weaker player. Majority of time leading trump.

Tbolt65
Edward