Richardb02

OE Would you cross the river?

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:55 pm

OE Monday night game:
https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

What would you do R2S1?

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:21 pm

That's an easy spades call for me with nothing blocked in clubs, and a weak holding in next. However, I strongly disagree with leading the right with no off A, I'm leading the K of hearts in the hopes of making my Q boss, and because the diamond is a poor lead due to S4 turning it down. I also have an opportunity to play off on a club if necessary. Getting 5 tricks with the way the hand was played seems like sheer luck to me.

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:35 pm

This is one of these hands where W/E can do no wrong. S3R1 could have called and made a point. S1R2 could have called next or Spades and made it. (Turns out marched on spades). Either way, trumps need to be led from 1st chair no matter which W/E player called it. Always count on your P for one trick :)

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:55 pm
OE Monday night game:
https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

What would you do R2S1?
Im calling next. Hearts and lead queen of hearts. Im calling hoyle hoping to hit partner. I have an off ace. I know people will say but I have right/ace of spades. Isn't that stronger. It is on paper but your hand plays much better leading to your partner and promoting your ace then to suck your partners trump out and you have no ace and you pray you hit your partner by jumping the fence or that he has some off aces as well.

Tbolt65
Edward
Last edited by Tbolt65 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:33 pm

I think it's close between calling next and calling spades. What really matters most to me is just recognizing that we have to call something in this spot when we don't block reverse next. If I have a partner like Tbolt65 (Edward) who expertly bags in the 3 seat, 1st round, then I'm gonna call hearts here. With a random P, I think a spade call is defensible. It's certainly one of those spots I'd like to simulate and find out. If we call spades with R+A, we should NOT lead trump (lead the non-turn down suit). With such a marginal holding, R+1+nothing, the last thing we want is to burn two of our team's trump in one lead. Plus with R+A, we can often massage that into an end play netting 2 tricks on our own with our P only needing to get one trick for a point. When we lead the Right, now our Ace of spades is no longer guaranteed to take a point. In this spot, leading the Right hurts our team more than it helps it.

So if we call Next, lead trump to promote our off Ace. If we call spades, lead a heart.

PS: I'm not against S4 dealer donating up 5-2 with that crappy hand. I've seen Irishwolf make that type of play. It has merit. Notice in this example a dealer donate would cost S4's team nothing as passing led to S1's team getting 2 points anyways, a common occurrence when S4 passes such a terrible holding.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:37 pm

This one is hard.

The enemy turned down diamonds so anything that they have is probably in clubs, given that I've got the jack+ace of spades. If my partner has anything, it's probably in hearts.

I've also probably got two tricks in spades unless someone is holding a guarded left. I've got no real strength in anything else.

At the same time, I've got a decent shot at getting two tricks in next because of the two trump and the offsuit ace. My partner also is also more likely to be able to help on a next call. At the same time, the trump that I have aren't particularly high ranking ones.

I agree with Wes. I'd call next if I know I've got a partner that will help me do the heavy lifting. I'd then lead trump, hoping to clear out whatever trump the enemy might have and hope that my partner manages to take it with a bower. That'll give my ace the best chance of surviving to take a trick.

If I'm with a random partner, I'd probably cross the river and lead the right. With this play, I'm hoping that I can take out somebody's unguarded left, promoting my ace to boss trump. I'll lead the king of hearts on the second trick, hoping to give my partner the third lead or giving the enemy the option to take it it with their left if I don't manage to get it on the first trick. This also positions either me or my partner to have last play on the third trick. Hopefully my partner has a red ace to deliver the point.