Irish Euchre rules

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
TexasJack

Irish Euchre rules

Unread post by TexasJack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm

When I played Euchre in Ohio with my German in-laws, the rules differed from those my Irish family played by: “At any point during a hand, a team may be challenged to have violated the rules by not following the lead suit in any trick of that hand. In which case, play is suspended to verify the charge. If the player is found to have been able to follow a lead suit and did not play that card, his team forfeits the hand and the team which alleged the violation is awarded 2 points. However, if it is found that the player did not violate this rule, his team is awarded 1 point and play continues.”

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:12 pm

This does not make sense, i.e., early in a hand. For example Eldest wins the first trick with an ace and now he leads trump JC (clubs), 2nd seat has unguarded left but sloughs a heart. How can eldest possibly know he has the left?? Of course, he has to wait until the infraction occurs. No where does the rules say you have to wait. However, that said, I know of NO rules that say a charge not proven a one point can be awarded. If I were playing and I was sure of such a false charge, and the opponent faced their cards, that is Penalty in tournament play of two points. All cards should be played out.

Standard rules says that (example of same situation) Eldest waits until later in the hand he plays the left. Of course play can be stopped at that point as a Revoke. So anyone can claim a revoke as soon as they think they have the information. Many times, you suspect and have to sort the hands to confirm at the end of play.

At any point during a hand, a team may be challenged to have violated the rules by not following the lead suit in any trick of that hand. In which case, play is suspended to verify the charge

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Texas Jack

These rules are generally in universal play or Euchre: (Notice that you can correct a misplayed card to avoid a Revoke (then it a exposed card).

THE REVOKE (AMERICAN HOYLE)

> When a revoke occurs, the adverse party is entitled to add two points.

>If a suit is led, and any one of the players, having a card of the same suit, shall play another suit to it --that constitutes a revoke. But if the error be discovered before the trick is quitted, or before the party having so played a wrong suit or his partner, shall play again, the penalty only amounts to the cards being treated as exposed, and being treated as exposed ,k and being liable to be called.

>When the player, who has made a revoke, corrects his error, his partner, if he has played, cannot change his card; but the adversary may withdraw his card and play another if he elects to do so.

>When a revoke is claimed against adversaries, if they mix their cards, or throw them up, the revoke is taken for granted and two points are awarded.

>A revoke needs to be announced before the cards are gathered and cut for the next deal.

>If a player makes a revoke, hjis side cannot count any point made for that hand.