Poll - Holding J-J What is your 2nd lead

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more

After taking the first trick, what card do you play?

Jack of hearts
20%
Ace of Spades
40%
King of spades
40%
Ten of Spades
No votes

Total votes: 5

Dlan
Site Admin

Poll - Holding J-J What is your 2nd lead

Unread post by Dlan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am

(sorry, there does not seem to be a way to have the poll show after the post)

The turn-card is the Jack of diamonds. Everyone passes. As the dealer, you pick the Jack.

After discarding you hold

(Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_A-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_10-S)

After taking the first trick, what card do you play next and why?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Did your partner follow suit on the first lead or show void?

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm

The 10 of hearts was led, 2nd played the nine, 3rd played the Ace. I had discarded the Queen of heart

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Dlan wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm
The 10 of hearts was led, 2nd played the nine, 3rd played the Ace. I had discarded the Queen of heart
So you took the trick with the right, I'm assuming.

Interesting how first seat would lead next since that suit is more likely to be trumped than leading green.

You have three spades so odds are pretty good that at least one of the other players is void in the suit, possibly more. I wouldn't lead the Ace for this reason. Also, you've got one more guaranteed trick in your hand so you're going to need your partner to take one.

I'd lead back the ten or the king and hope that my partner could trump it. I wouldn't lead the jack because there's a good chance that your partner doesn't have many trump or they would have ordered or went alone. You don't want to bleed out the trump that they have. Leading the Ace would also discourage your partner from trumping since most people won't want to trump their partner's Ace.

The King is probably the better lead on the off chance that each of your opponents has a spade. It also will tell your partner to trump it if they can.

ohiodebi

Unread post by ohiodebi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I pick up jdiamonds & have jack hearts no other trump & discard my only next. My opponent leads next my partner can't get trick other opponent plays the ace of next, Should I take trick with left & lead right bower?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:14 pm

NO NO - you need your partner, you do not trump, play your low spade. You have to be patient with both bowers. Now is not the time to use a bower. And if you lead, you will only take your partner trump.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:33 pm

ohiodebi wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:02 pm
I pick up jdiamonds & have jack hearts no other trump & discard my only next. My opponent leads next my partner can't get trick other opponent plays the ace of next, Should I take trick with left & lead right bower?
You don't want to strip your partner of trump, which you will if you lead trump.

What are your other cards?