OHIO WEEKLY 3/16 - TO SQUEEZE THE MAKER

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

OHIO WEEKLY 3/16 - TO SQUEEZE THE MAKER

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Here is an interesting hand (9:10) where the dealer gets squeezed, but should he have? Here is how the the hand played out:

KH UP ALL PASSED. ELDEST (S1) CALLS NEXT – DIAMONDS IS TRUMP.

S1 9C QC AH KD JH
S2 KC JD TS 9D TD
S3 JC 9H QD QH TH
S4 AC TC JS KS AS

So the dealer takes the first trick with the AC and sets up a squeeze situation with the Eldest (S1 the maker) leading the TC on trick 2. Eldest covers and now forces S2 to decide what to trump and his trump is 9D 10D JD. S2 chooses to use the Right (JD). S2 now leads is forced to lead the TS which S3 is void and trumps it.

The question becomes, should S4 had let his partner win the club trick?

Would it have made a difference instead of setting up a squeeze?

I contend it would have made all the difference and resulted in a euchre. So why would it have been better?

S4 the dealer has no trump. Setting up a squeeze is important if S4 has some trump and needs S2 help. Here it just obstructs and prevents a euchre.

It is obvious Eldest does not have three trumps and does not want a trump lead unless it is from his partner who might have the Right bower (JD). Secondly, it's probable that Eldest is leading from a doubleton club and your 10C covers nothing at this juncture. However, if you save the AC AS KS you have black suits covered. A second lead of clubs or a lead of spades can now create havoc.
So let your partner have the trick and it would have.

Of course in the heat of battle these choices have to be made rather quickly and are not always Perfect.

SHOULDA COULDA: For a euchre!

S1 9C KD JH AH QC
S2 KC JD TS 9D TD
S3 JC QD 9H TH QH
S4 TC AS KS JS AC

~Irishwolf

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:10 pm
Here is an interesting hand (9:10) where the dealer gets squeezed, but should he have?

I am very happy with the way I played this hand, so I would say yes I should set that squeeze up.
irishwolf wrote:
Here is how the the hand played out:

KH UP ALL PASSED. ELDEST (S1) CALLS NEXT – DIAMONDS IS TRUMP.

S1 9C QC AH KD JH
S2 KC JD TS 9D TD
S3 JC 9H QD QH TH
S4 AC TC JS KS AS

So the dealer takes the first trick with the AC and sets up a squeeze situation with the Eldest (S1 the maker) leading the TC on trick 2. Eldest covers and now forces S2 to decide what to trump and his trump is 9D 10D JD. S2 chooses to use the Right (JD). S2 now leads is forced to lead the TS which S3 is void and trumps it.

The question becomes, should S4 had let his partner win the club trick?

No, set that sqeeze up every time. Too many good things can happen when you put the maker in a squeeze.
irishwolf wrote:
Would it have made a difference instead of setting up a squeeze?

I contend it would have made all the difference and resulted in a euchre. So why would it have been better?

This is a joke right? Like there's no way this can be a serious post. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone right now. You do realize that the instant I set that squeeze up, the maker is euchred EVERY TIME. Or are you just gonna ignore the fact that S2 completely destroyed this hand--like nuclear bombed/3rd trimester abortion destroyed this hand? As if it's my fault that after we already have 1 trick in, S2 decides to blow the Right, essentially and inexplicably abandoning any effort at euchring the maker. Come on man.

Ok let's rewind here, and go over the hand. After I set up the squeeze and the action's on S2, let's assume this time he's actually interested in setting the maker, so this time he doesn't blow the Right for no good reason. Now what should he do? Well he has R+2 and we already have 1 trick in, so there's no freaking hurry. Since his other trump are the lowest possible trump, and clubs is now a non-fresh suit, there's no reason to trump low here and needlessly sacrifice a trump to a likely inevitable S3 overtrump. So through a simple logical process of elimination S2 has one clear, unequivocal best play: throw off the TS and give S1 the trick! And by doing this S2 now sets himself up with two fresh suit voids while still holding R+2 after his team already has 1 trick in. IOW, if S2 plays this spot correctly, the maker is likely royally f***ed.

And even if S2 DOES play this spot incorrectly and burns one of his low trump on the double club lead, we still set the maker. So S2 had 3 choices ranked from best to worst:

1) Throw off the TS
2) Trump low.
3) Trump high with the Right.

S2 had to make the worst possible choice for my squeeze play not to work. That's the real story here.

PS: Richard, plz take no offense at the colorful language. It's just a game. I laughed when that play happened. I don't really care. I enjoy having you as my partner.

PS2: BTW I am certainly open to the idea that there are spots where setting up a squeeze is not best (I can think of scenarios with S3 ordering up the dealer where this can be true), but this is a horrible example to try to illustrate an exception.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 am

Yes you suggestion is correct as the cards all have. But to ignore the alternative in such a manner only shows how defensive you are. LOL, ignoring thinking out of the box. There is more than one way to skin a cat! If you let him have the trick you would have had a euchre. Sometimes you have to play to your partner's skill level. YOU DID NOT! Take off the blinders. Every hand in euchre has to be considered on its own merits.

So what is wrong with your "squeeze" is that Eldest (if wise) will duck and this now allows S3 to get involved to over trump (in general). This is exactly what Eldest desires most. Of course it would not work but the cards held determines that (void in hearts by S2 with both opponents having hearts). Your suggested squeeze requires a significant hand by S2 (the JD). Look at all the hand possible hands of S1 S2 S3, and you will find that you are Wrong with the squeeze! Amazing you don't see that, your blind spot (from the Johari window)?

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:57 am

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:07 am
Yes you suggestion is correct as the cards all have. But to ignore the alternative in such a manner only shows how defensive you are. LOL, ignoring thinking out of the box there is more than one way to skin a cat! If you let him have the trick you would have had a euchre. Sometimes you have to play to your partner's skill level. YOU DID NOT! Take off the blinders.

So what is wrong with your "squeeze" is that Eldest (if wise) will duck and this now allows S3 to get involved to over trump (in general). This is exactly what Eldest desires most. Of course it would not work but the cards held determines that (void in hearts by S2 with both opponents having hearts). Your suggested squeeze requires a significant hand by S2 (the JD). Look at all the hand possible hands of S1 S2 S3, and you will find that you are Wrong with the squeeze! Amazing you don't see that, your blind spot (from the Johari window)?
All I can say is I will think about this some more and I am open to the idea that I am wrong for setting up a squeeze in this spot. You happy now? :)

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:18 am

Wes, actually no problem for me. Actually does not matter to me what you do. You are a very good player, IMO, but here provides I think a no brainer as you now have AC & AS for later in the hand to set up a "squeeze".

You and I agree way more than not! And no one is ever 100% right.
PEACE BRO!

And let's not forget the parable of The Blind Men and the Elephant. John Godfrey Saxe's ( 1816-1887)

It was six men of Indostan,
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

.... GOOGLE TO READ THE REST OF THE POEM IF INTERESTED .....

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

MORAL,
So, oft in theologic wars (tis in EUCHRE so!)
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean;
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

lol

~Irishwolf