OHIO WEEKLY 3/16

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

OHIO WEEKLY 3/16

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 am

Now this is an interesting hand AS is the upcard (hand at 9:19). S1 holds makes trump discarding KC and now holds JC AS AH KH JH. S1 lead AD and the dealer does not trump the, instead sloughs his AH.

So the question is, should the dealer trump the AD lead? (I say yes indeed it does matter.)

S1 AD AC 9S QC 9D
S2 TD 9C TH KS JD
S3 QD KD 9H JS QH
S4 AH AS KH JH JC

I say yes indeed it does matter a great deal.

Is there any way to avoid this euchre?

The answer is, YES! And it not good to slough the AH as you are telling everyone I have KH and more hearts! And you are allowing opponents to win the the trick. Not only that, you are not going to get out of this without your partner taking one trick, and you have just reduced that by a margin one one trick. The Hearts are just a decoy, but must be used greatly.

Look what could have occurred by trumping the the AD and leading the AH:

(SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA)

S1 AD 9S AC 9D QC
S2 TD TH 9C JD KS
S3 QD 9H KD JS QH Trick 3 - Does not matter what S3 plays KD OR QH!
S4 AS AH JC KH JH

S3 on trick 3 is forced to play the KD/QH and on trick 4 must use his JS. This allows S2 to save his KS for trick 5 and a point.

S1 could lead the 9D on trick 3 but it makes no difference to the dealer (S4) using the JC and winning a point.

So the point of this is that you must consider that sloughing the Ace gives information to the opponents who will avoid leading Hearts and to win a trick. Trump the AD and KEEP pushing hearts! Good leads will beat good cards. And it is the same situation and strategy if you had the Right + one.

This is what makes euchre interesting. There is strategy, psychology, statistics and much more. It is more than just a simple ole card game!

Note: it may have been better to pass and let Eldest call Next! (He - he would have been two points for a euchre.)

~Irishwolf

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:44 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 am
Now this is an interesting hand AS is the upcard (hand at 9:19). S1 holds makes trump discarding KC and now holds JC AS AH KH JH. S1 lead AD and the dealer does not trump the, instead sloughs his AH.

So the question is, should the dealer trump the AD lead? (I say yes indeed it does matter.)

I agree that the dealer should trump the first trick. Funny thing, I've played a lifetime of euchre in less than 3 years online and I have never seen someone slough an off ace on the first lead. I feel like that HAS to be a misclick, but if not, I see no justification for doing that. If Richard did this on purpose then it would be a classic example of overthinking imo.
irishwolf wrote:
Is there any way to avoid this euchre?

The answer is, YES! And it not good to slough the AH as you are telling everyone I have KH and more hearts! And you are allowing opponents to win the the trick. Not only that, you are not going to get out of this without your partner taking one trick, and you have just reduced that by a margin one one trick. The Hearts are just a decoy, but must be used greatly.

Look what could have occurred by trumping the the AD and leading the AH:

(SHOULDA WOULDA COULDA)

S1 AD 9S AC 9D QC
S2 JD TH 9C JD KS
S3 QD 9H KD JS QH Trick 3 - Does not matter what S3 plays KD OR QH!
S4 AS AH JC KH JH

S3 on trick 3 is forced to play the KD/QH and on trick 4 must use his JS. This allows S2 to save his KS for trick 5 and a point.
On Trick 3, S3 should play the QH. It's not a boss card and the action suggests the enemy most likely has the KH, so S3 should get rid of that dead card and keep the boss KD. Once S3 does that, then Richard's team is euchred unless S2 clairvoyantly assumes the Right is in S3's hands and thus doesn't trump his P's KH lead on the 4th trick. An action that's unrealistic. So basically, the Maker only scores a point on this call IF S3 mistakenly holds onto unnecessary deadweight by keeping the QH instead instead of keeping the KD.
irishwolf wrote:
Note: it may have been better to pass and let Eldest call Next! (He - he would have been two points for a euchre.)

~Irishwolf
I think this call is a classic example of overaggressive play. Don't call super marginal as the dealer when you have decent defense in the 2nd round. Calling with Left + 1 + a tripleton green Ace definitely qualifies as super marginal. And if the dealer passes he blocks 2 out of the 3 remaining suites, which is decent defense right there. The fact that he has an enemy Next call and Heart call in big trouble is also an additional bonus. In fact, with me in S1, and the high frequency I call Next, calling with the dealer's hand is actually an egregious mistake. :)

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm

I also would have passed betting on Eldest to make Clubs trump! (Shoulda hand was updated).

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Definite mis-click. I missed the As and hit the Ah.