Tips for new players

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Play2Win

Tips for new players

Unread post by Play2Win » Fri May 18, 2018 2:17 pm

When your partner names trump and your right hand opponent takes a trick, then leads the same suit back, do not trump using a small trump. It will be a waste of trump More than likely the player to your left will over trump and your small trump will be sacrificed. Use this as an opportunity to clean out your hand. Your trump more often than not will take the next trick.

Play2Win

Unread post by Play2Win » Fri May 18, 2018 2:34 pm

This is another tip. When your opponents call alone and your partner leads an ace. Trump as high as you can, but never with a nine. Why waste a trump? If they are going to trump, it will be larger than a nine. I have seen a lot of this lately. There is only reason to play our trump on your partner’s ace and that is to force them to use a high trump. If you have the left or ace, play that. Your partner may have the other one, and that could stop the call

Play2Win

Unread post by Play2Win » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Another basic strategy I find lacking in most beginners is that they have no knowledge of the "next" call. I see many hands that while sitting in 3rd seat I’m almost begging for them to call it call it and yet they pass. I understand that the next call requires a bit of a leap of faith. You’re counting on your partner to have the cards you may need to make a point.
For those that do not know that a “next” call is. It is a basic euchre strategy where once the dealer turns down a suit, you name as trump the other suit of the same color. An example would be a SPADE being turned down,” next” would be CLUBS.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Play2Win wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm
Another basic strategy I find lacking in most beginners is that they have no knowledge of the "next" call. I see many hands that while sitting in 3rd seat I’m almost begging for them to call it call it and yet they pass. I understand that the next call requires a bit of a leap of faith. You’re counting on your partner to have the cards you may need to make a point.
For those that do not know that a “next” call is. It is a basic euchre strategy where once the dealer turns down a suit, you name as trump the other suit of the same color. An example would be a SPADE being turned down,” next” would be CLUBS.
I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in third seat with a perfect next hand, my partner crosses the river on a call, and we promptly get euchred because my perfect hand is now worthless.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 am

Play2Win wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm
I think the big problem is most people don't understand the "why" part of next. If they did perhaps they would open up their game and recognize that the risk of getting euchred is often worth it. The "why" part is primarily this: To protect your team from a 2nd round reverse next loner. Whenever youre in seat 1 and you have very little in reverse next you should be scared to death to pass, certainly way more scared than getting euchred on a loose call.

E.G. Your team is up 7-2, you're in seat one and the dealer turns down a (Card_K-C)

You have (Card_Q-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_A-H) (Card_9-H)

This is an automatic next call in spades. Your opponents just turned down black and you have no diamonds and don't block hearts either. Passing is way too risky. And if you call and get euchred so what. You're team is still up 7-4. The bottom line is you must make this defensive call to protect your team's lead. And always remember whenever you call in this spot with a hand that blocks nothing the theoretical long run cost of your euchre is way lower than the actual 2 point penalty. This is becuz of all the 4 point loner sweeps this play will block and also there are many times your team would've lost 2 points anyways had you passed.

Worth mentioning, the above points to an irrefutable fact. Seat 1 is the most important position in the game. There are a lot of spots where you can manipulate luck/variance in your team's favor and the vast majority of those spots are from seat 1 through either 1st rd donations or 2nd rd quasi-donations, i.e next calls/other weak calls to keep seat 2 from a chance at making a big play.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:49 am

My biggest pet peeve is when seat 1 leads off with the turned down suit in the 2nd round. The reason this annoys the hell out of me is not just becuz it should be obvious why that's such a toxic lead but mostly becuz top players make this mistake all the time too.

Play2Win

Unread post by Play2Win » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in third seat with a perfect next hand, my partner crosses the river on a call, and we promptly get euchred because my perfect hand is now worthless.
Players have to realize that not calling next but deciding to cross over they risk not getting help from their partner. My advice is only call from green when you have the cards to make a point on your own.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Play2Win wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am
Players have to realize that not calling next but deciding to cross over they risk not getting help from their partner. My advice is only call from green when you have the cards to make a point on your own.
I agree with that one... it's the only time I ever do it.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Play2Win wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am
I get the idea but that advice is too strict.

EG: Your team is up 6-0, dealer upcard is the (Card_9-S) and he passes. You're in the 1 seat with

(Card_K-S) (Card_Q-S) (Card_K-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_9-H)

You block no loners with a potential no trump, no aces hand should you pass. You gotta call something in this spot to protect your team. You really think clubs is the better call than hearts here. No of course not. Call hearts, lead a heart, and pray. Sometimes you gotta grit your teeth and make ostensibly dubious calls in the name of sound defense. If you get euchred so what. The risk of passing is what you should be concerned about. Hoyle concepts are important but if you take them too literally/religiously you can easily set your team up to fail.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 pm

I think you both are right with your latest comment. I've called next with no trumps, but usually have an ace or two.
You can cross the suit at 1st seat but as advised, you better have close to three sure tricks. Not so much on a weak 'green' hand unless you know with good reason the opponents are bagging on next.

However, in general (it all depends) with that hand of KsQsKhQh9h (spades down) I would cross the suit to hearts with the score 6 - 0. It signals to me that opponents are bagging or my partner is loaded in black or both. You have nothing in diamonds or clubs. Doubtful your partner will make a march. If you get euchred, you are not giving up 2, you are giving up 1 extra point as they most likely will make one anyway.

Further, you have close to 3 tricks with that hand. Lead Qh first you might draw 3 trumps to the trick leaving one out standing. One opponent is likely to have two trumps. If one opponent has both bowers or R+A you might lose two trumps right off. Then it all depends who has As or if buried. Probably get euchred 30% but there is benefit in doing this. Don't always be afraid of being euchred - it's the Name of the Game. No one plays Perfect euchre.
a.) It keeps the opponents honest about next. Especially if they bag a lot.
b.) It shows that you are not setting a pattern in always calling next.
c.) And it prevents a possible loner.

Irishwolf