Weekly games 02/03 Hand #3

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Weekly games 02/03 Hand #3

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Here is one last hand. Knowing whether to call or pass is one of the most important aspects of euchre.

If the following hand, the dealer turns up the JD. Let’s assume you’re in second seat and have never played with this partner before. Do you order or pass?

Part 2,
Again, sitting in second, this partner is known and you have a good idea of his style. Do you order or pass?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Actually, the question that is more important, will eldest donate to the JD?

That decision should never get to 2nd seat.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Dlan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm
If the following hand, the dealer turns up the JD. Let’s assume you’re in second seat and have never played with this partner before. Do you order or pass?
With no read I think this is a must call. I'd even call with Left + 1 with nothing else (If I had everything blocked then I'd pass). The vast majority of euchre players are just too passive. So I think it's best to assume that until more evidence suggests otherwise. Make them prove they're good!
Dlan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm
Part 2,
Again, sitting in second, this partner is known and you have a good idea of his style. Do you order or pass?
If my partner is good/aggressive--like the type that knows the spots where he should pick up with R+0 or when he should go alone with R+1--I will trust him in this spot.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:43 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 pm
Actually, the question that is more important, will eldest donate to the JD?

That decision should never get to 2nd seat.
I agree, with no trump and just 1 off ace, gotta donate vs the Right in this spot.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:53 pm

Making clubs or spades: The dangers of NOT going alone are the same (almost) as going alone as it comes from one of the opponents having three clubs/spades. Thus far better pay off to go alone. My partner or the stock is more likely to have that KD, IMO.
If you don't go alone, then you should Pass again hoping for a euchre but it the same play if opponents make clubs or spades - lead both bowers and now comes the QD.

If you were looking for scoring one point - you should have ordered the AD.

~Irishwolf

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:12 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:53 pm
Making clubs or spades: The dangers of NOT going alone are the same (almost) as going alone as it comes from one of the opponents having three clubs/spades. Thus far better pay off to go alone. My partner or the stock is more likely to have that KD, IMO.
If you don't go alone, then you should Pass again hoping for a euchre but it the same play if opponents make clubs or spades - lead both bowers and now comes the QD.

If you were looking for scoring one point - you should have ordered the AD.

~Irishwolf
Wrong thread :)

So I responded to this in the right thread.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:14 pm

What is interesting about this hand, suppose 1st round gets back to the dealer.

What is the best lead that Eldest should make to stop this loner?

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:58 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:14 pm
What is interesting about this hand, suppose 1st round gets back to the dealer.

What is the best lead that Eldest should make to stop this loner?
If S1 leads a heart, this will force S3 to sort their hand towards covering spades with their protected King. And since S1 has clubs covered with his ace, there is no escape for a S4 loner. No matter which black card he discards, he's dead.

If S1 instead incorrectly leads his AC, and the dealer trumps in, S3 will end up sorting her hand towards covering hearts, which is no good for us.

If S1 leads the JS, and the dealer trumps in, S3 will again end up sorting her hand to hopelessly cover hearts.

So the heart lead is best here if we could see the cards, but what's interesting is even if we could NOT see the cards the heart lead is still best.

1) Never lead a single ace in this spot, so the AC lead is out.

2) After that, we wanna lead the suit our P is most likely void in, hoping they can trump in on the first lead and possibly stop a loner that way, hoping to catch the maker with an off Ace of that suit or some other card in that suit.

3) There are 3 hearts unaccounted for and 5 spades unaccounted for. Therefore my P is more likely to be void in hearts than spades, so lead the heart.