OHIO EUCHRE WEEKLY 1 14

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

OHIO EUCHRE WEEKLY 1 14

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Your team is up 9 to 5, the QH is the up card and you at 1st seat hold JD AH 10H KC 9C.
Do you order or Pass?

If you order, what should you lead?

If you Pass, and the Dealer passes what will you then do?

cgutowski

Unread post by cgutowski » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Call. I would go alone here any neutral scores or behind. With 8 or 9 and ahead I call. The more interesting choice would be at a score of 7-7 or 7-8. Go for the win on a loner which can be weak to a euchre or take the likely 1/2 points?

JD. I'd think about the 9C to make K boss but I think better to clear a round of trump. Could be wrong.

Call Diamonds. No black defense and a decent next call.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

You don't need 4 points! In hearts, do you not think your partner can be of help, even a decoy? I think that would be unadvised to go alone.

I will stay silent and let others comment about what they would do.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm

In most cases go for the win. Call and lead the left bauer.

However a case can be made to sit and let the opposing team make. Only if you know that your opponents know, that they must call here at 5-9. Then lead 9 of clubs.

If it gets back to you after passing. Call diamonds and lead the right.

Tbolt65
Edward

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm
Your team is up 9 to 5, the QH is the up card and you at 1st seat hold JD AH 10H KC 9C.
Do you order or Pass?

If you order, what should you lead?

If you Pass, and the Dealer passes what will you then do?
Up 9-5, the incentive to bag and call next drops a lot becuz we don't gain anything extra from an enemy euchre. So the default play here is to call hearts becuz a Hearts call is still stronger than a Diamond Next call even tho by calling Hearts we give the enemy a trump and a chance to create a void. To pass hearts here I'd have to have a strong read that the dealer's team calls way too much in this spot to consider letting them hang themselves. After calling hearts, lead the Left.

If I had passed and the dealer passes, then we MUST call something in this spot. Never pass from Seat 1, 2nd rd, up 9-X when X = 7 or below if you don't block all suits. IOW never give Seat 2 a chance to be a hero, and in this spot with no spades in our hand and just two low clubs, we should be extra scared of passing. Next is the obvious play here with the Right + an off ace. So in this instance, call Next and lead the Right.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:57 pm

It's all about controlling the game and YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO PASS TWICE! 2nd seat may have a loner in Green, especially spades.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:57 pm
It's all about controlling the game and YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO PASS TWICE! 2nd seat may have a loner in Green, especially spades.
Yep, that's why Seat 1 is the most important seat in the game. Seat 1 is the quarterback of the team, the game manager so to speak.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:19 pm

I fully agree. And here it makes little difference hearts or diamonds is made trump by eldest. Either suit was an acceptable call. Eldest had two potential tricks in either suit. Even with a euchre now the game is 9 to 7 and your deal. If a loner was made, the score is now 9 to 9.

But the hand it question, a point would have been made and the game ended. Spades was made trump and opponents had five trumps.