dealing with timeouts at World of Card Games

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
marya

dealing with timeouts at World of Card Games

Unread post by marya » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi! For anyone who is playing at World of Card Games, there are a couple of things that might interest you if you feel the timeouts for playing Euchre are too short.

First, you can pause games that are in progress. At private tables, if half the people hit the Pause button, the game will Pause. You hit the Continue button to restart the game. That clickable link is to a blog page which describes the feature. The Pause/Continue buttons are in the upper left corner of your screen:
The Pause button also works at public tables, but all the humans at the table must click it in order for the game to be paused. So if you want a Pause, click that button and say "pause please" and hopefully someone else will click the Pause button to help you out.

Second, you can apply a special setting at private tables so that the timeouts are 5 minutes long. This only works when you have applied the setting and you created the table (that is, if you were the first one to sit down at the table). So if you want this setting to work for your private tables all the time, then all players who use that private table name must check it. This setting is found in the Settings panel which opens when you click your player name in the upper right corner of the screen. Make sure you check the checkbox next to "Private Table Timer 5 Min".

I hope this helps!

Marya

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Now you tell me this. All this time I was peeing in a jar!!

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 pm

lol, same here!

Next Monday, I will be watching the LSU vs CLEMSON!

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:20 am

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Ugh, forgot about that. I will be watching the game too with my dad. So count me out for Monday also.

marya

Unread post by marya » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Really sorry not to mention the Pause button! I already know that there are people who use it for bio breaks. My bad.

Someone mentioned to me that World of Card Games is rather complicated, in that there are lots of hidden features and you have to figure them out.

This is a problem with software in general. There's a story about Microsoft Word (IIRC) which says that they kept getting feature requests from all their big customers, and they tended to want to keep everyone happy, so they kept building in more and more features. Over time, the number of features became so large that the software actually became pretty difficult to use. Even if the software supported a feature that you wanted, it could be difficult to find out how to apply it. If Microsoft couldn't figure out how to handle this type of problem, I sure couldn't.

I know that some card game sites do the bare minimum. The owner simply doesn't try to satisfy any requests - it's a take it or leave it attitude. It keeps the site simple, and it makes less work for the owner.

There are definitely other card game sites which try to do what people want. WoCG is in that category. In the first 5 years that I owned the site, I worked full time (often more than 40 hours per week), adding features that people requested. I did this because I wanted to run the site like a real business rather than a hobby. In the last year or so, financial realities meant I had to stop putting in so much work on the site; it simply doesn't support me and I was kind of in denial, or maybe I'm just clueless about some things. I always collect user requests, and I have plans for new games, features, and bug fixes. I try to do the work when I have time. And that's all I can promise.

But yes, there are many hidden features. Really most of them are there under the Options button or in the "Settings" area when you click on your user name. Almost every feature is documented in the blog for the site, but personally I would never expect anyone to read every blog post! It's so much easier to just ask me - send an email to me (which is what someone did with the timeouts). It may be that the feature is there, or that there's some workaround. If the site doesn't have your desired feature, I will take you request for it, but given my schedule, I can't promise when/if I will add something. Small bugs are easiest to fix, of course. Larger features, I just don't know when I'll have time.

Marya

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:48 pm

marya wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm
Really sorry not to mention the Pause button! I already know that there are people who use it for bio breaks. My bad.
I was just joking about the peeing in a jar part :) , but the dire prospect had crossed my mind. Sadly our games haven't lasted long enough to put me to the test! So I'm glad I know about the pause feature now. Back in the poker boom days when I was online, 8-10 tabling at once, peeing in a jar was pretty much mandatory lol.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm

We have lost Irish and Wes for next Monday, January 13. Who would be available Tuesday January 14, let’s say 830 EST?

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 pm
lol, same here!

Geaux Tigers!

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 pm
We have lost Irish and Wes for next Monday, January 13. Who would be available Tuesday January 14, let’s say 830 EST?
I'm in on Tue this week. Yeah we really need to change it to Tue if we want a chance for a game, given that we're only getting 3-4 people and 2 (me and IW) are out for sure on Monday.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm flexible, Tue the 13th at 8:30 it is.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm

I could do Tuesday. We need to do more games and players. What days are good for Tbolt?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 am

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm
I could do Tuesday. We need to do more games and players. What days are good for Tbolt?

Unfortunately I work Sun-Thurs. Thurs nite is euchre nite for me and Wes at meepleville. Fridays and Saturdays would be my only days unless the time is changed during my work week. Other wise Im available when ever on Fridays and Saturdays. Heck I'm the one suggested we get this going. Its unfortunate I can not attend.

Tbolt65
Edward

marya

Unread post by marya » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Back in the poker boom days when I was online, 8-10 tabling at once, peeing in a jar was pretty much mandatory lol.
TMI TMI lol! But you really need to tell some stories about playing poker online. Was this for money? I never understood how they avoided cheaters.

Marya

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 am

Are there any thoughts on maybe changing our game night to Fri or Sat?

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Dlan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 am
Are there any thoughts on maybe changing our game night to Fri or Sat?
I can't do Fridays. That's when I usually have a home game. Saturdays I'm free outside of college football season.